How To: Download 1Password 3 for iOS

frame
frame
Community Member
edited December 2012 in iOS
Hi,

Today I restored my iPhone 3GS and retrieved my backup via iCloud. Oddly 1Password Pro was missing after the restore (I got a message telling me "some applications couldn't get restored"). I tried to re-download 1Password Pro in the (Austrian) Appstore but it's no longer there, instead there's now a new 1Password for 8 EUR.

Please advise.

Bernd

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    1Password 4 for iOS is a separate app so users of old devices can still use the old version.

How Re-Download 1Password 3 for iOS:

If you wish to install a previously purchased copy of the old 1Password 3 app, you can do so in the same manner that you install all previously purchased apps. Here is Apple's support article which explains the process if you are unfamiliar with it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Please note that it will not show up in any search. You will need to browse your list of past purchases to find it. If you sort the list alphabetically that makes it easier to spot. It will be listed under "P" since the leading "1" is ignored in the past purchases list.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • frame
    frame
    Community Member
    Hi khad,

Thank you! The information about the broken search and that 1Password is under P helped me out.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Awesome! Glad I could help. :D
    Community Member
    is there a chance to get it running on iOS5 ? I have bought the old version but can not find it in the Store anymore. So I bought the new version but can not install it on my iPhone with iOS 5.1.1.

Please some advice.
  • romad
    romad
    Community Member
    To get older versions, follow this Apple article: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

1PiOS4 will not run on iOS5, so don't worry about it. It is so buggy and poorly designed, that you may want to steer away from it and stay with version 3.7.2 even if you were running iOS 6 on your iPhone. BTW, iOS6 runs on the last 4 iPhone generations: 3GS, 4, 4S, & 5
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey member,

I merged your post with this existing thread. Please see my post above for specific steps and tips for downloading the old version of 1Password.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
    Community Member
    Why did you not keep both versions up in the app store like other vendors. That is not a customer friendly beeing.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2012
    1Password 3 is available on the App Store. It just is not available for sale.

If you wish to install a previously purchased copy of the old 1Password 3 app, you can do so in the same manner that you install all previously purchased apps. Here is Apple's support article which explains the process if you are unfamiliar with it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Please note that it will not show up in any search. You will need to browser your list of past purchases to find it. If you sort the list alphabetically that makes it easier to spot. It will be listed under "P" since the leading "1" is ignored in the past purchases list.

Happy holidays! :D
  • jondriscoll
    jondriscoll
    Community Member

Hey all,

Just wanted to add some "user experience" in getting 1Password 3.7.2 on an old iPad running IOS 5.1.1.
    [ mileage may vary, but though someone may find it helpful... ]

I had been running the iPhone version of 3.7.2 on several iPhones, and my iPad for a while using dropbox sync, and recently "restored" the iPad.
    When I tried to find 1Password in "purchased, it wasn't there. (even looking under "P" and not "1" in the list of apps)

Initially, I though this was odd, as I have definitely purchased 1Password 3.7.2 via the app store...
    ... but after some reading, I think that I was actually using the "iPhone / iPod Touch" version on the iPad, not the iPad version....
    This is likely why it didn't show up in the app store on the iPad

My solution?
    I opened iTunes, plugged in the iPad, found 1Password (iPhone) app in the apps section of iTunes, and dragged 1Password to the iPad.
    Hey presto, it sync'd.
    (note: as this is the iPhone version, it's the smaller screen (like an iPhone), but until I upgrade the iPad, and 1Password, it serves my need.)

This may also be a way to restore other versions of the 1Password iPad / iPhone apps - in addition to the on device app store / purchased section.

HTH,

• jd

Aside:
    1Password 3.x user on 3x Macs, 2x PC's, 3x iPhones and 1x iPad ... all with dropbox sync.
    This product is right up there in the "can't imagine living without" category. Thanks Agilebits and keep up the great work.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for your kind and helpful words, jd! You offer a good solution for those who have their apps backed up to their computer. :)

I think this thread is much older than the information on this that we've updated several times in the FAQ, so I'll post it here for the sake of completeness:

Customers who bought 1Password 3 in the past would be able to re-download 1Password 3 for free without any time restrictions. All of your previous purchases will remain in the Purchases section of your App Store app.

On the iPad, you can find 1Password 3 under P in the App Store if you sort it by names. If you bought 1Password 3 for iPhone, you need to tap on the iPhone Apps on top left to find 1Password.

On the iPhones, you will not see 1Password 3 for iPad since it cannot be installed on the iPhone.

Note that the search field in the Purchases section is for the App Store only, it will not search the Purchases list and since 1Password 3 is not available in the App Store, you won’t be able to locate 1Password like that.

At the moment, new customers will not be able to purchase 1Password 3 for the older device.

• irontruth
    irontruth
    Community Member

So I've read through the above posts and still need help myself.

I had to reset my iPhone 3G (iOS 4.2.1) to original factory settings and can't install 1Password. I have logged in with the only Apple ID I have ever had and nothing shows up under "Updates" in the app store except "All Apps Are Up To Date".

I have downloaded the iOS app "1password_pro_v3.6.1.ipa" from www.pandaapp.com and put it into the "Mobile Applications" folder so iTunes can find it. It shows up in iTunes, proceeds to install when I sync my phone but it can't complete and shows up with an error message: "The app 1Password was not installed on the iPhone "xxx's iPhone" because an unknown error occurred 0xE8008001"
    Can you help me?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I would be happy to help you. The first step is to not download a pirated copy of 1Password.

If you previously purchased the old version 3 of 1Password for iPhone, 1Password for iPad, or 1Password Pro the app(s) you purchased will be listed in your "Purchases" as outlined in my post directly above yours.

1Password 4 is a separate purchase. You can purchase it on the App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/1password-password-manager/id568903335?ls=1&mt=8

Again: you can still download the old version 3 if you previously purchased it by following the steps provided three times already in this thread. :)

Please let me know if you are still having trouble.

• mstracke
    mstracke
    Community Member

I am a new user of 1Password on my computer and an owner of a 1st generation iPad. I'd like to run 1Password on my iPad but, the iPad will not run ios 6, and the 1Password app requires ios 6. Am I just out of luck here, short of buying a new iPad?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@mstracke, unfortunately there is not another solution right now, but that's obviously a (rather expensive) way to resolve the matter. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer. Apple doesn't allow developers to make an old version of an app available for sale to only a select group of users (or allow users of a new version to download previous versions for free). There are some limitations in the App Store, and this is a painful one that we have run into when releasing 1Password 4 for iOS.

This discussion has been closed.