Use iCloud and Dropbox sync for multiple vaults

Options
sjura10
sjura10
Community Member

Ok so I've been using 1password with Dropbox for awhile with no problems but I have an older Mac that is constantly running low on Memory and I noticed Dropbox is using a significant amount just in standby so I'd like to sync my vault using iCloud to see if that helps but I have multiple vaults. Can I use iCloud for my primary vault and keep that synced on all my devices and just keep the other vaults syncing with Dropbox which will still sync fine on my newer iMac and iPhone? Is it possible to use Dropbox & iCloud simultaneously on the Mac & iOS version or will that cause issues? Here's what it will look like:

Primary Vault (synced via iCloud)
MacBook Air (old and slow)
iMac
iPhone
Wife's iPhone (which is on different Apple ID, is this even possible?)

Secondary Vaults (synced via Dropbox)
iMac
iPhone
Wife's iPhone

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: iCloud & Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:icloud and dropbox sync

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sjura10

Using two separate sync services to manage different vaults seemingly adds a fair bit of complexity to what sounds like an already somewhat complex setup (with various devices, Apple IDs, etc). Additionally:

which is on different Apple ID, is this even possible?

It isn't possible to sync 1Password data to iCloud using multiple Apple IDs, no. iCloud does not offer a sharing mechanism for CloudKit data, which is Apple's equivalent of iCloud Drive for database based applications like 1Password.

Have you considered 1Password Families as a solution here? It would allow you to drop Dropbox entirely, as far as 1Password is concerned, and wouldn't have Apple ID-based limitations. You and your wife would each be able to have your own account within the 1Password Families membeship, with your own Personal vaults, and then there is also a built-in Shared vault which is accessible to all accounts on the membership. Additional shared vaults can be created with custom permissions (e.g. perhaps in the future you add another family member, but you want to be able to share some data between only you and your wife — that's possible).

That would be our recommendation here. Membeship is future for 1Password. :) You can read more about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade you can find instructions on migrating from your existing setup to 1Password Families here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• sjura10
    sjura10
    Community Member
    Options

Yea I looked at the 1Password Family account but it doesn't say it can have multiple vaults for 1 user. I have multiple vaults for work that I sync with others using Dropbox so I'm not sure what the best solution is. Dropbox has worked fine for years but it seems to take up an ever-increasing amount of memory to run in the background which is fine for newer computers I just have this one old MacBook Air. Maybe upgrading the laptop is best solution. I'm just not a fan of subscriptions for something that can be a one-time cost.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sjura10:

Yea I looked at the 1Password Family account but it doesn't say it can have multiple vaults for 1 user.

Yes, you can have as many vaults as you want for a user :+1:

Create and share vaults

I have multiple vaults for work that I sync with others using Dropbox so I'm not sure what the best solution is.

If you need to share different vaults with different teams, you can take a look at our 1Password Business offering. Sharing data with other users is exactly one of the challenges we wanted to address with this ;)

• IvanExpert
    IvanExpert
    Community Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

(deleted, because it wasn't really relevant to this as much as another thread. sorry about that)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.