1P4 and QUC

elvaen
elvaen
Community Member
This is in response to a dialog started on twitter:

I have a long, ~40-char, master password which is fine when using two hands on a full keyboard for the desktop/browser clients, but much less useable on an iphone keyboard.

I'm trying to make the quick-unlock feature work for me, but so far my experience has been that just a couple hours after closing the app and returning it to it I'm back to entering my full master password again. I'm using an iPhone 4S with 64 GB flash drive. I am a moderate user of my phone, but so far in all my testing I'm really not doing anything other than checking email between 1password sessions, and I wouldn't think that's nearly enough to exhaust the memory and force iOS to close the app for resource reasons.

I really appreciated the "short master password" in 1P3. I think I would be happy with the QUC in 1P4 if it would last longer. The rest of the app is a great improvement, but typing (and typoing a 40-char master password a half-dozen times) every time I want to use the iphone client fairly thoroughly sours the experience.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the Quick Unlock Code. That sounds very strange. I completely understand your frustration.

There is a bug at the moment which forces a prompt for the master password if the Auto-Lock timeout elapses, but that shouldn't apply in your case since you said you have the Auto-Lock time set to "never." I just want to be extra sure that that is the case since that bug would be a pretty simple explanation for what you are seeing.
  • elvaen
    elvaen
    Community Member
    Yes, confirmed, here are my settings:

"auto-lock" is set to never.
    "quick unlock code" is on.
    "Lock on exit" is on.

I've even tried toggling these all off, exiting the app, force terminating it, and then reloading and resetting all my settings as above just in case somehow my preferences weren't being saved properly. No change, within 1-2 hours of putting 1password in the background I'm back to having to use my full master password to get back in.
  • elvaen
    elvaen
    Community Member
    After a full device restart the QUC is lasting at least an hour now -- which is an improvement. I'll try and wait more than an hour between sessions and try again.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2012
    Those are my settings as well, and unless 1Password is forced to quit (either automatically by iOS or via unnecessary manual "pruning" of the recently used apps list) I am always prompted for my Quick Unlock Code.

Please do let me know how things continue. It sounds like they are working well so far.
  • elvaen
    elvaen
    Community Member
    I was forced to using my master password after 2.5 hours. That timeout still seems a bit short to me -- better than what I had been getting, but shorter than I would like.

Ideally, for me, the app would never time out and I never have to go back to the master password unless the QUC is incorrect, my device is restarted, or a very long time (2 days?) elapses. I realize you probably don't have that much control given the different types of background states for iOS apps, but it would be nice if this could last a bit longer.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think you may be correct that we don't have complete control over what happens when 1Password is backgrounded. If iOS shifts 1Password to the "not running" state then it will be the same as a device restart and therefore require the master password.

I also think you are correct that it would be nice if this could last a bit longer. It may not be possible, but we'll see what we can do. I've been surprised before by the seemingly impossible being coded. :)
This discussion has been closed.