Password change not recognized?

Options
Send513
Send513
Community Member
edited August 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I had to update my PW for work, but 1PW isn't requesting or updated my login info? I have Browsers “Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them” turned on. Shouldn't 1PW ask me if I want to update the PWs I have saved?

1Password Version: 7.6.781
Extension Version: chrome 1.21.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise
Sync Type: icloud? (not sure)
Referrer: forum-search:password update not recognized

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Send513 .

Did you generate a new password using 1Password's generator? If so, when you clicked to autofill the newly generated password, a save prompt should have shown up, asking if you'd like to update the existing login with the new password.

If you didn't use 1Password to generate a new password, then you can simply right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Save Login", which will trigger the save prompt and allow you to update your existing login.

• Send513
    Send513
    Community Member
    Options

No, I can't do that with this... it is for work and the password crosses multiple platforms and interfaces. It has to be something I know / can type regularly when it can't be prefilled. This seems to be one place where another competitor worked a lot better... ' we see you have changed your PW, do you want to also update it for (list of accounts with the same user name)?' --> you could then select which ones you wanted to change.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup @Send513 .

In that case, when you type in a new password in the login page, the "Save in 1Password" button should show up as you type. Click on it when you are done typing and the save prompt will pop up, allowing you to update your existing login. This button should also show up in the "Change password" form of the website, but in case it doesn't, you can trigger it on the website's login page. Here's the full workflow:
    1. Get to the website's "Change password" form and change your password.
    2. Log out of your account and reach the login page.
    3. Manually fill in the new password and click the "Save in 1Password" button.

Thanks for the feedback as well! We'll see how we can improve such edge cases in the future.

• Send513
    Send513
    Community Member
    Options

It doesn't/didn't... but I will try again next time I have to change my work PW (90 days from now...lol).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you'd like, you can test it on our autofilling test page: https://fill.1pw.co/
    Here's how:

1. Fill in a made up username and password, then save it in 1Password as a new test login.
    2. Refresh the page, fill in the same username as before, then write a new password in the password field. You'll notice there's a "Save in 1Password" button under the field as you type. Click on it.
    3. The save prompt will show up, allowing you to update the existing login.

That should be the same on all websites. If you encounter a website where this doesn't work, feel free to send us the URL so we can test it (assuming the login page of the website is publicly available).

This discussion has been closed.