Set up iPhone for 1Password 7

jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

I recently upgraded to 1Password 7. It appears that I have a personal vault, which I believe is located at 1password.com. On my iPhone, it looks like 1P is already at version 7. However, it is still set to sync to Dropbox.

How do I change this to sync with my personal vault? There is no apparent option in the screen shot.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: X
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: not sure

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jasimon9!

Please add your 1Password account to the 1Password app on your phone. This way, your Personal vault will appear on this device too.

Once you have done this, you are free to remove this old Dropbox vault to avoid duplicates :+1:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Thank you Ana! I was able to complete the process.

When I am using my Personal account, does that mean the it automatically syncs? The reason I ask is that I when to "sync" (not knowing if it is needed or not, and the only choice there is Primary-Dropbox. So I don't want to sync with that anymore it seems.

And I am still confused about the setup. I think part of the problem is that I have on my Mac the 1P desktop application, but I switched to X in the browser. It seems they don't play that nicely together. And that maybe I should remove Desktop and just use X. If I did that, is there any functionality I would lose?

I seems that you either want to use Desktop and Mini (extension), or X and 1Password.com, to keep things simple. Is that correct?

• Hey @jasimon9

When everything is set up and working as it is supposed to there won't be any Primary vaults or sync options on any devices and syncing will happen automatically through 1Password.com. As for the situation with 1Password X... because 1Password X doesn't "talk" to the desktop apps like the companion extension does, that can indeed cause things to function in ways you might not expect (e.g. 1Password mini reporting that the extension is not installed, despite having 1Password X installed).

I seems that you either want to use Desktop and Mini (extension), or X and 1Password.com, to keep things simple. Is that correct?

There is no hard and fast rule here, but that is probably a good approach if you're trying to keep things simple, yes.

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

Thanks Ben.

I take it one way to proceed would be to uninstall the 1P desktop app. Is there a special way to uninstall it?

"Keep it simple" == avoid confusing and conflicting results. I would certainly like to not lose functionality by such a simplification.

• Regarding uninstalling:

How to uninstall 1Password

"Keep it simple" == avoid confusing and conflicting results. I would certainly like to not lose functionality by such a simplification.

It sounds like you're currently using 1Password X, and are leaning in the direction of only using it. Is there anything that you're still doing in the desktop app that you aren't finding in 1Password X?

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

At first I could not find things. But then eventually seemed to find most. Some wondering what if anything I was missing. I suppose it would not hurt to go that way of "X only" and see if anything is missing. I suppose from what you are saying I should not find anything.

Thanks for you patience.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

That page that gives uninstall instructions looks like a "complete" uninstall if all sections are followed (Remove the 1Password app and data, Remove the 1Password extension, To remove 1Password data from Dropbox). If I did all those steps, would X still be fully functional?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

That page that gives uninstall instructions looks like a "complete" uninstall if all sections are followed (Remove the 1Password app and data, Remove the 1Password extension, To remove 1Password data from Dropbox). If I did all those steps, would X still be fully functional?

None of the instructions on that page would have an effect on 1Password X.

I suppose it would not hurt to go that way of "X only"

Indeed. And if you do decide you'd like to install 1Password for Mac again in the future that is possible.

Thanks for you patience.

You're most welcome. :)

Ben

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Ben,

I am about ready to remove the desktop version via the instructions you linked to at https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/. I want to be sure that only removes all the desktop app and local data but leaves X alone and the 1password.com vault and data. ]

Can you please confirm this?

• That is correct. The instructions you linked have no effect on either 1Password.com or 1Password X.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.