Does 1Password work well with Yubikey?

bear67512
bear67512
Community Member

Pardon me if this has been asked previously. I would like to ask does 1Password work well with Yubikey? I was quite drawn by the marketing aspect of Yubikey that it prevents account take overs. Currently I am using Authy as 2FA in conjunction with 1Password. I was thinking of placing all my 2FA's into 1Password and having Yubi key as the master key to reduce complexity.

As such, [1] can i ask does anyone have success with using Yubi Key with 1 Password, [2] does 1Password offer support with Yubi key, [3] Does the arrangement of keeping my 2FA tokens in 1Password sound with yubi key as the master key?

Kind regards.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Does 1Password work well with Yubikey?

Comments

• Hi @bear67512

Thanks for the question. :) Yes, 1Password's device authorization process for 1Password accounts does support using a Yubikey as an additional layer of protection(*). It does not serve as a replacement for the Master Password, though. Normally when to sign into 1Password from a device for the first time you need your Master Password and Secret Key. If you enable a Yubikey for your account in addition to needing those two things to sign in from a new device you will also need the Yubikey. It does not impact how 1Password unlocks subsequent to authorizing the device.

(*) Please note that currently only the 1Password.com web app and 1Password for iOS app support Yubikeys. When you add a Yubikey to your account you'll also need to enable TOTP. To sign in on a device that doesn't support Yubikey you'll use the TOTP code.

You can read more, including which specific models are supported, here:

Use your U2F security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

I hope that helps!

Ben

• DevoDevo
    DevoDevo
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Quick question to the use of 1Password together with YubiKey. What happens if i loose my YubiKey or it breaks? Can i still access my account with Master Password and the Secret Key?

Thanks
    Devon

• @DevoDevo,

In that case you would be able to unlock 1Password on any already authorized devices but you would have to use TOTP to authorize any new ones until you logged in and turned 2FA off / removed the Yubikey.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.