1PasswordAnywhere does not work

1. Installed 1Password 1.0.9.305 on Windows 7
  2. Shared using dropbox 1.6.11
  3. Launched dropbox site in Chrome Version 23.0.1271.97 m
  4. Navigated to and clicked on 1Password.html in test.agilekeychain folder
  5. Goes to page https://dl-web.dropb...l?w=<blah-blah>, which showed error message
  6. After clicking "OK" i can enter master password, and it shows me another error message:
    Problem loading 1Password data file

A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.
    Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

7. Per troubleshooter advice, clicked on "key data file" link.
  8. This sends me to the page at https://dl-web.dropb...cryptionKeys.js, which reads:
    Error (403)
    It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out ourHelp Center and forums for help, or head back to home.
  9. When i try to navigate to this file using DropBox site directly, i can see that the file is actually there.
  10. I can view the file at https://dl-web.dropb...s?w=<blah-blah>
  11. File contents (binary data replaced with ...): {"list":[{"data":"...","validation":"...","identifier":"...","level":"SL5","iterations":10000},{"data":"...","validation":"...","identifier":"...","level":"SL3","iterations":10000}],"SL3":"...","SL5":"..."}

Dropbox is in sync.
The fact that i can see encryptionKeys.js file using DropBox built-in navigation tells me permissions are ok.
IE is not supported.
Firefox - same story

What's wrong?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Your data folder has been renamed so the backend "stuff" on the Dropbox servers don't know to handle the data as a bundle. Rename your data folder from "test.agilekeychain" back to the default "1Password.agilekeychain" and it should work fine.

Let me know how it goes. :)
  • hm... i did not do it... by hand, i mean. when i was setting this all up the first time, i named something (don't remember) 'test' - and that's how it was created. Then on new machines 1Password somehow was finding it's data all by himself, probably looking up dropbox configuration.

Anyway, what would be the procedure of renaming it? I have several machines all synced with dropbox. Should i :
    1. Close 1Password on all machines
    2. Rename folder in dropbox
    3. on each machine: Wait for dropbox sync, open 1Password, "Choose another"?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yep. Just quit 1Password, rename it in Windows Explorer on one machine and wait for Dropbox to finish syncing on all machines. Then open the data folder if 1Password doesn't find it automatically or prompt you to use it.
  • baga
    edited January 2013
    Worked, thanks.

Still it is not clear to me why the folder name matters. All information for 1Password is contained inside that folder. I would expect you can copy it elsewhere on HD, rename it "kuku" and it should work.
    Update: Just tried to copy folder elsewhere and open it using 1Password. The only limitation seems to be that folder name has to be like ???.agilekeychain

Also, if that folder name's hardcoded, it means you can not have two (or more) 1Password data stores shared using same dropbox. Is this true?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Dropbox has special hooks on their backend so that 1PasswordAnywhere can load all of the data in the entire folder. Normally only a single file is accessible via the Dropbox web interface at a time. The special hooks are tied to the name of the data folder: `1Password.agilekeychain`.

Only one data file (or data folder in Windows) per Dropbox account has ever been supported. If you have more than one bad things can happen especially when you try to sync mobile devices.
  • Ok, understood. It still does not work on IPad though...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    1PasswordAnywhere doesn't work in Mobile Safari on your iPad? Or did you mean something else? Could you provide some more details. I'm not sure what you mean. That's the first time you mentioned iPad in this thread.
  • I just connected IPad to dropbox.
    Yes, opening 1Password.html in Safari locally on IPad. Says can't load key file (clicking on this link does nothing), and offers to check help site (clicking on this one bring support site as expected).
  • antipole
    antipole
    Community Member
    Hello... I too cannot get 1PasswordAnywhere to work - on my Mac (nor on iOS).
    I have my 1Password.agilekeychain stored on DropBox and everything a standard installation. It is working well through the 1Password applications on my Mac and iPad (both the latest versions).

To use 1PasswordAnywhere I open the 1Password.agilekeychain package and try to open the 1Password.html file. I get the
    Problem loading 1Password data file

screen in Safari. The problem file shown is 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptationKeys.js and if I open that file directly it shows just strings of data.

I do not believe this is a DropBox synchronisation problem - I have waited ages and also tried when nothing is happening.

I have JavaScript enabled in Safari preferences.

I also tried the same thing on my iPad, accessing the 1Password.agilekeychain through the Dropbox app rather than the 1Password app. I get the same thing.

Any suggestions please?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, antipole! I'm sorry that you are having some trouble as well.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us your Diagnostics Report? Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Once we see your report we should be able to help more. Thanks in advance!
  • matthiasmoier
    matthiasmoier
    Community Member
    I noticed the same problem today when I tried to access my passwords online in my Dropbox/1Password Anywhere.
    I don't get any error message online, it just shows me 1 Password which I saved yesterday via the Firefox Plugin.

But when I try to open the 1Password.html in my local DropBox folder, I get the following error:
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Matthias, what you are seeing is because you are trying to load 1PasswordAnywhere from your local disk. This is explained in the last section on the 1PasswordAnywhere page in the User Guide:

Starting with version 13, Firefox tightened its security on opening local files. As result, Firefox will no longer load 1PasswordAnywhere from the local file system. You can still access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website, however.
  • khad wrote:

Matthias, what you are seeing is because you are trying to load 1PasswordAnywhere from your local disk. This is explained in the last section on the 1PasswordAnywhere page in the User Guide:

Starting with version 13, Firefox tightened its security on opening local files. As result, Firefox will no longer load 1PasswordAnywhere from the local file system. You can still access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website, however.

What about iPad? It is not using Firefox. Does Safari have same problem?
  • matthiasmoier
    matthiasmoier
    Community Member
    khad, thanks for the feedback.

But that does not answer the main question: Why don't I see my synced passwords ONLINE in my 1PasswordAnywhere when accessing it directly in Dropbox?
    It just shows me the newly added entries, but not the 150+ I had before. Sync via dropbox still works on my computers and iOS.

As I mentioned I did not rename or move the 1Password directory or anything.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    What about iPad? It is not using Firefox. Does Safari have same problem?

Please see my post about 1PasswordAnywhere on mobile devices in another thread.

But that does not answer the main question: Why don't I see my synced passwords ONLINE in my 1PasswordAnywhere when accessing it directly in Dropbox?

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us your Diagnostics Report? Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to an email to support@ agilebits .com

Once we see your report we should be able to help more. Thanks in advance!
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Why don't I see my synced passwords ONLINE in my 1PasswordAnywhere when accessing it directly in Dropbox? It just shows me the newly added entries, but not the 150+ I had before. Sync via dropbox still works on my computers and iOS.

Have you tried to repair your 1Password data? File > Repair 1Password data
  • matthiasmoier
    matthiasmoier
    Community Member
    Thanks, Stefan! That solved my problem.
    The easiest solutions often are the best ones...

Didn't realize that I need to click this option since I had no problems with my local 1Password.
    Should have tried this by myself before complaining that something doesn't work. Sorry!

Thanks again & have a nice weekend.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great news! Thanks for letting us know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.