Confused with syncing on the new 1Password for iOS

Hi,

I've been using 1Password on Mac for years, and always think that I can not live without it.

Now I bought an iPad Mini and purchased a 1Password app for it.

What I'm trying to do is
1) transfer data on my Mac to the iPad Mini .
2) keep them two sync to each other from then on.

But I don't know how to achieve even the first step. Can anyone help me?

It seems that sync through DropBox is the only way, but Dropbox is blocked in my country. What can I do then?

Maybe I should known this before I purchased the app for the iPad..... (sweat)(sweat)(sweat)(sweat)(sweat)

Comments

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Hi worc and welcome to the forums!

You're right that Dropbox is the only way to do a true sync at the moment but Agilebits are working on alternatives.

Firstly, if you examine the release notes for 1Password for iOS 4.1 you will see mention of a new USB sync facility that is under beta test on the Mac. Since you do not have access to Dropbox in your country, you are likely to be highly motivated to test it thoroughly and so if you are up for testing pre-release software, you might apply to Agilebits to be included in the program.

In the longer term they are working on iCloud sync for the Mac (don't know if that is an option in your country).

In the meantime, you might investigate iTunes File Sharing as a way of exchanging your keychain between Mac and iPad. I've never tried it but I understand it is possible. One caveat though, it will not merge changes. You may simply copy from one device to the other. However it might get you over the hump pending availability of USB or iCloud sync.

I hope that helps.
  • Hi worc and welcome to the forums! You're right that Dropbox is the only way to do a true sync at the moment but Agilebits are working on alternatives. Firstly, if you examine the release notes for 1Password for iOS 4.1 you will see mention of a new USB sync facility that is under beta test on the Mac. Since you do not have access to Dropbox in your country, you are likely to be highly motivated to test it thoroughly and so if you are up for testing pre-release software, you might apply to Agilebits to be included in the program. In the longer term they are working on iCloud sync for the Mac (don't know if that is an option in your country). In the meantime, you might investigate iTunes File Sharing as a way of exchanging your keychain between Mac and iPad. I've never tried it but I understand it is possible. One caveat though, it will not merge changes. You may simply copy from one device to the other. However it might get you over the hump pending availability of USB or iCloud sync. I hope that helps.

Hey, thank you so much Penelope Pitstop!
    I'll try out both the beta USB sync and iTunes file sharing method.
    Would you please show me where the release notes for 1Password for iOS 4.1 is? I can't find it anywhere. I saw a blog mentioning it (http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/01/03/direct-syncing-in-1password-4-for-ios/) but with no details. Thank you again!
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited January 2013
    You are most welcome. It's mentioned in iTunes.

• You are most welcome. It's mentioned in iTunes.

Ah.... Didn't notice it. It points to blog info and with no more details neither. Thank you anyway.

I finally transfer data from MAC to iPad, following this tutorial
    Still don't know how to actually SYNC through USB yet.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    Glad you managed to get your data across :)

Agile would have to issue you with a pre-release version of 1Password for Mac that supports the USB sync feature. It is not generally available. I suggest you send an email to them to ask to be included.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Still don't know how to actually SYNC through USB yet.

USB syncing is not complete yet. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough in the blog post you linked to above. It is only in beta testing at the moment, so it is not possible to sync via USB just yet. We haven't announced anything beyond what is in the blog post about direct syncing. It is coming soon, though.

The release notes for 1Password 4.1 for iOS are meant to indicate that 1Password 4.1 for iOS now has the ability to sync via USB. However syncing requires two components. The component on iOS (i.e. the 1Password app itself) is ready for USB syncing, but the component has not been released yet on the Mac. Once it is released on the Mac you won't have to wait for an update to 1Password on your iOS device(s) since it is already ready.

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!
  • Got that, thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Cheers! :)
This discussion has been closed.