How To: Save a new Login item

Options
mk842
mk842
Community Member
edited January 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

It's pretty pathetic when 1Password can't even figure out how to log on to the agilebits forum.

I've been a user, on Mac and Windows (primarily with FireFox), for a long time, but things just keep getting worse. I'd say 1Password can't figure out how to log on to 30 % of the sites it has previously stored info on (it no longer fills in the fields), and misses about 50% of new sites I log on to (just doesn't ask to store anything). I'm up-to-date with 1P and all my browsers.

I'm sure websites are getting more and more sophisticated, but I'm guessing 1Password has just added to many bells and whistles for its own good.

I've stopped recommending 1Password to others, and I'm pretty close to giving up myself.

M

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forums, M. Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

I don't have any trouble with 1Password on this forum at all. I'm sure we can get things working as well for you as they are for myself and other 1Password users. :)

My guess is that you saved a Login item on the registration page rather than the login page. Since 1Password essentially "records" and "plays back" the Login item, it is always better to save a Login item on the page where you will actually be filling it (i.e. the site's login page) rather than some other page (such as the registration page). 1Password is smart, so it will usually not be a problem, but if you're having trouble, that's the first thing to check. Please try saving a new Login for this forums on the login page:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

1. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    3. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    4. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login at:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes as well as the URL of another site where you're having trouble if the above steps don't resolve things on the other site too.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.