Windows 1Password Locking Clarification

charlie98
charlie98
Community Member
edited February 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The 1Password for Windows documentation states

Global unlock

In Windows, 1Password and your browsers run in separate processes, and the locked/unlocked status is associated with individual processes. Closing 1Password for Windows or closing the last Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer window “kills” the associated process, which normally locks your 1Password data for access from that process; hence, restarting 1Password for Windows or either of the browsers requires unlocking the 1Password data again.
New: You can override this security measure by enabling the Keep extensions unlocked option on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences.
Here are some important things to remember about this option:
Unlocking your 1Password data in the extension for one browser also unlocks your 1Password data in the extensions for all the other 1Password-enabled browsers.

Since my Windows doesn't seem to conform to the above I request clarification regarding:

1. with regard to Keep extensions unlocked option on the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences I have no such option or if I do I have no idea where it is since it is certainly not in the browser window of 1PW. all I have is a listing of the 4 browsers that I have installed
  2. with regard to Unlocking your 1Password data in the extension for one browser also unlocks your 1Password data in the extensions for all the other 1Password-enabled browsers. my observation is that this may be true for all browsers that are open at the time of the browser unlock (I use may since I haven't tested this) but it is not true for a browser that is opened subsequent to another browser having 1PW enabled

Comments

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member

I would also add a comment about the highlighted item in section 2. above in that several of the words are spread across multiple lines. my issue or a forum issue?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

The docs appear to be outdated. That "keep extensions unlocked" setting is now on the IE tab because it is IE-only. For all other web browsers, this setting is available via the browser extension:
    1. click on the gear icon in the lower-left corner
    2. click on "Security"
    3. turn on this setting: "Enable Universal Unlock"

This discussion has been closed.