How can I get access to my 1Password data from an iPad 1?

Options
crisbennett
crisbennett
Community Member

I seem to have a roadblock using my iPad1 with 1Password. I didn't buy 1Password for iOS before the iOS6-only version, so can't run 1Password as a native app.

1PasswordAnywhere doesn't work for me (I get the "problem loading 1Password data file" error), at least when opened from any of the apps I've tried so far (Dropbox.app itself, Readdle Documents etc).

Can anyone suggest a way?

Comments

• Hi @crisbennett,

1PasswordAnywhere requires a web browser, the apps you've tried won't work. You need to do this in the Mobile Safari to view your data on the iPad 1st gen.

Hope this helps for now. We're still trying to figure out a way to get you 1Password on the older iPads.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT: thanks for the reply.

Actually I have a bit of a correction to my previous my previous post: if I sync my Dropbox/1Password folder to Readdle Documents, it does run the 1PasswordAnywhere app correctly. It uses a built-in browser to render html docs. I guess the key is the syncing (which would make the other files in the 1Password.agilekeychain package available with correct relative paths). It's extremely slow, taking couple of minutes to display after tapping 'unlock'. So not very practical, but interesting that it works at all.

The trouble with the Mobile Safari route is that I would need 1Password to log into the Dropbox web app to get to the 1PasswordAnywhere.html file (which I don't fancy making public!).

The situation does tempt with dangerous solutions: using the same password for Dropbox and 1Password, for example.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

@stu: OK, I've just tried that. It's a workable solution for now (though perhaps clumsy enough to discourage doing me from doing much secure stuff on the old iPad!). Interesting that 1PasswordAnywhere is so much faster in mobile safari than in Readdle Documents, even though the latter must presumably still be using UIWebView.

Thanks for your help.

• Hi @crisbennet,

That's always going to be the case for any third party browsers including our own 1Password's browser, there isn't any other way to render websites beside UIWebView at the moment. Apple only allows JIT access for its browser but disables it for the rest of the browser apps since JIT bypasses certain memory protections.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT: right, that makes sense, thanks. Stu's workaround does look the best for now, then, I guess.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

In practise this is just too slow to be usable. This issue actually encouraged me to abandon 1Password and go back to .. a competitor. They shall be nameless, but they've served me well for the past few years.

Until .. the NSA debacle, and associated revelations. AgileBits clearly understands the sensitivities involved here, and I admire the upfront way you've discussed them. Point being, I'm back to 1Password, because, having now shifted nearly all my data out of the US (sad goodbye to gmail!), I want to rely on a largely non-cloud solution for my passwords too.

On the iPad 1 issue, I imagine I'm p**ing into the wind, as I presume 1's are now a minuscule proportion of the 1Password install base, and I understand you can't support everything for ever. But I'll ask anyway: is there any hope at all of getting reasonably practical access to my 1Password data on an iPad 1?

No hard feelings either way.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@crisbennett,

First of all, thanks for using 1Password. We know that there are other options, and we greatly appreciate your business. As of right now, there are just too many hurdles to adding support for the first generation iPad in 1Password 4 or making the old 1Password 3 app available for sale again on the App Store. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer in this case. I do hope that you are able to get by with 1PasswordAnywhere for now while you enjoy the full 1Password experience on any other devices you may have as well as your desktop machine(s).

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I do understand. Thanks for the reply.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It is my pleasure to help as much as I can. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

there are just too many hurdles to ... making the old 1Password 3 app available for sale again on the App Store

In the light of this, it might technically be possible to put 1Password 3 up as the build available for iOS5 clients. I realise your "hurdles" might be more than just AppStore workings (compatibility between 3/4, maintaining the old version, etc etc). But just thought I'd point it out.

In general terms, the new AppStore capability has proved very helpful. I've already managed to get a couple of apps back on my old device that had dropped off the App Store (iTunes' 'Transfer purchases' facility is pretty flakey, and doesn't always succeed in keeping superseded app versions available).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not sure that this will help since 1Password 4 is not an update to 1Password 3 but rather a brand new app. I think it may help in the future, but I don't believe there is a way to retroactively apply an iOS 5 compatible version of "1Password 4" (i.e. the completely separate 1Password 3 app) to 1Password 4 currently in the App Store.

• crisbennett
    crisbennett
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, of course, I had forgotten they were different apps.

Anyway, good to see that for once Apple's actually made a useful improvement to the AppStore.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It does look very promising for the future. Some developers have expressed concern about it, but overall I am optimistic.

This discussion has been closed.