Subdomains with different credentials

Options

Is there a switch to tell 1Password to use different credentials on different subdomains. We have alot different site like user1.mydomain.com user2.mydomain.com each with different user/pass.

How can I tell 1Password not to give me all *.mydomain.com logins to choose from

Comments

• Hi @member,

Which browser are you using? If you use the keyboard shortcut instead of pressing on the 1Password icon, 1Password should fill in the specific data automatically if there's a Login that matches the URL precisely. The default shortcut is Control + \.

• bradsmith74
    bradsmith74
    Community Member
    Options

This definitely does not work for me. For example, if I have the following domains stored in 1P (exactly like this, no extranious characters):

http://www.example.com/login.php
    http://sb1.example.com/login.php
    http://sb2.example.com/login.php
    http://sb3.example.com/login.php

and then I go to this URL:

http://sb1.example.com/login.php

and hit the keyboard shortcut, (Ctrl + ) I get the 1P popup that lists all four of the stored logins, and I have to choose from the list.

I'm using 1P v3.8.21 and Chrome v26.0.1410.65 and 1P plugin 3.9.14.90. I'm on Mac OS 10.6.8. I've confirmed the same behavior with Safari and Firefox (all using the newest version of the 1P plugin).

• bradsmith74
    bradsmith74
    Community Member
    Options

Also, MikeT, how does your reply (that this should work) relate to dteare's response that subdomain filtering is not supported by 1P:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/11984/can-1password-show-me-logins-based-on-subdomain/

Frankly I didn't really understand what dteare was saying- it seems that his first paragraph says that what I describe above shouldn't work, but then his second paragraph seems to say that what I want to do should in fact work. (I would have just posted a reply asking for clarification to dteare's post, but for some reason the forum won't let me.) Could you or dteare please clarify? Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well, color me confused. You say you're using a Mac but have posted in the Windows category and reference the Windows keyboard shortcut rather than the Mac one. I'm sure there is a perfectly good explanation. Let's get to the bottom of it. :)

The support article* to which you link says in the second paragraph exactly what Mike said above. The rest of the support article is just referring to a visual filtering in the extension popup. What we call "single-stroke login" is a handy solution for this. I'll try explaining it once more:

If you have exactly one Login item for a given subdomain, pressing the CTRL+\ keyboard shortcut in Windows (or ⌘\ on a Mac) will log you in to the site without prompting you to make a selection.

From your first post above. It sounds like you are not seeing that behavior. A simple explanation is that you have more than one Login item with sb1.example.com stored within it. Double-check the URLs in your Login items. Make sure there is exactly one — no more, no less — that matches the subdomain.

Please let me know what you uncover.

*That's why you can't reply to it. It is a support article not a discussion. We're more than happy to help you here, though. :)

• bradsmith74
    bradsmith74
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the confusion- I came to this thread directly from a Google search and didn't realize it was the Windows category. Also, a long time ago I changed the keyboard shortcut on my Mac to be Ctrl + backslash, so that's why the shortcut I listed was the same.

Regarding the actual functionality, thanks for the clarification. I see that what you describe is correct. The issue that I'm having is that when I have more than one login stored for a subdomain and I have to choose from the list of logins, the list includes all of the logins for the entire domain, not just the subdomain. It would be much more useful for me if the list of logins that I had to choose from was specific to the subdomain. But since this seems like a feature request and not a support issue, I'll take this to a more appropriate forum.

Thanks again for your help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the confusion- I came to this thread directly from a Google search and didn't realize it was the Windows category. Also, a long time ago I changed the keyboard shortcut on my Mac to be Ctrl + backslash, so that's why the shortcut I listed was the same.

No worries and totally understandable. The keyboard shortcut is customizable for a reason, after all. I just wanted to make sure that not only we are on the same page but also future viewers of this thread. Google may end up sending more folks here as well. :)

The issue that I'm having is that when I have more than one login stored for a subdomain and I have to choose from the list of logins, the list includes all of the logins for the entire domain, not just the subdomain.

That is true. There isn't a way that I know of for 1Password to determine which Login you want to use. We haven't yet implemented the mind reading feature. :D

It would be much more useful for me if the list of logins that I had to choose from was specific to the subdomain.

The problem is that many websites use the same credentials across subdomains, so not showing Logins for login.example.com when viewing example.com would make my mom think 1Password wasn't working if she only had a Login saved for the former but was viewing the latter.

These edge cases we see are almost exclusively with power users like yourself (and myself) who have access to a lot of different servers. It's a tricky balance to achieve, but there is always room for improvement. I'll bring this up with the developers again. It's a discussion we have often since we are power users ourselves. ;)

One thing you can do in the meantime is to use single-stroke login to your advantage. You could change the URL stored in one of the Logins so it was not an exact match. Then only one Login would match and it would be the one used for single-stroke login. As an example, let's say you have two Login items for sb1.example.com. Change the URL in the one you don't want to use as the "default" to www.example.com (or even somethingyoumadeup.example.com if you want to use single-stroke login on www.example.com). That way it will still be available for use on that domain, but you will need to manually select it from the extension popup with your mouse. ⌘\ will log you right in (or ^\ as the case may be).

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• bradsmith74
    bradsmith74
    Community Member
    Options

Great tips, thanks for the information. You explanation of this functionality confusing people not familiar with the functionality of subdomains makes sense, and I understand the decision to make it function as it currently does. The improvement that I've though would be great (for power users) is to allow users to set a priority for logins. This could be simple, like designating a "primary" login for a domain that gets used when you hit the login keyboard shortcut, or is at the top of the list when you call up the pop up window. A less simple (but more powerful) option would be to allow a priority value to be set for each login, like the priority value you can set for DNS MX records. In this scenario, when you hit the login keyboard shortcut, the top priority login gets used. If you invoke the popup, the list of logins is sorted first by priority, then alphabetically. In either case, if you don't set the primary login or login priority, 1P functions just as it always does. But for those power users that would like more control, it's available.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We have considered these options. I can't make any promises, but this is something we are interested in improving. For privacy and security reasons we don't track any usage data, so the only feedback we get is direct from users. Thanks again for your invaluable feedback!

• CPDRP
    CPDRP
    Community Member
    Options

@khad I'm also a Mac user who arrived here via Google and I echo the thanks at this thoughtful explanation. I completely understand the "Mom" angle in software development. However, if you are looking for user feedback to guide future features I can attest to having this issue as a thorn in my side for several versions!

If I were to dream up a solution, it would be to leave the product as-is out of the box. I'd like to see a checkbox preference that says something like "Segregate logins by subdomain."

Thanks for working on the most useful piece of software I own!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for your kind words and additional feedback, @CPDRP and Fernando.

These are things we have considered in our internal discussions, and I'll definitely pass your votes for them along to the developers as well. :)

• OverByDan
    OverByDan
    Community Member
    Options

I am also facing this problem, we develop on our server, for example, devserver.co.uk.

Every new site is shortclientname.devserver.co.uk
    Each website usually runs Drupal, and has multiple users, and user levels that we need to check and use. This results to on average 4 logins per site, however it can be many more.

As they're all on the same TLD, it means when I right-click, or go to sign in by using the button in my browser, I get a lot of results:

If there was a setting in the 1password preferences, that allowed you to say "Only show logins valid for the current domain (login1.website.com not *.website.com)" or something along those lines.

I can understand there are situations where this is helpful (for example, logging in on Google Apps can be from different domains, but get you to the same area) but I have in the past just updated all my logins to go to the same URL for login, to keep some consistancy.

Hope my reply is understandable, and that I've not repeated what's been said - I did read the thread, but did get lost at some points, so I just wanted to get my point across. So please be nice if I did repeat anything, I blame my lack of brain space!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback on this, @OverByDan! I agree that a setting like that could be helpful. That certainly is a very long list!

I'll make sure the developers received your feedback. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!

• OverByDan
    OverByDan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the swift response @khad - its not a major thing, it just means scrolling past the list (should I be wanting to get to "Inspect Element" etc), but no biggie, just wanted to put forward what I had spotted, and what would make it that bit more efficient to use :)

Thanks again!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Completely understandable. It would annoy me as well if I had a list like that and wanted to get to an item on it that was scrolled off the screen. :)

We'll see how we can make this better in the future.

• Jonathan Wold
    Jonathan Wold
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Just wanted to add my voice to this. I have a bunch of client accounts on WPEngine.com and, given that they use subdomains for sites before domains are pointed, I run into the issue of having to scroll through a list each time I want to login. It's a bit of a pain :).

(P.S. I'm on a Mac running 4 - Lol!)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for adding your vote, Jonathan!

• ChrisDE123
    ChrisDE123
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me. Really miss this feature, especially show the matching subdomain first. This thread was started 9 months ago, what's the progress so far?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

@ChrisDE123 domain matching will improve a lot in 1Password 4 for Windows (including the ability to associate multiple URLs with a single login item).

• ddoonn
    ddoonn
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Great to hear -- When do you expect we will have 1P-4 for windows ?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're working on it now, @ddoonn. You can sign up for the beta program here:
    https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• Justin Dixon
    Justin Dixon
    Community Member
    Options

How about on 1password 4 for mac? I don't see any improvements on this, unless I am missing something.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sorry, Justin—you'd have to ask that in our Mac forums. I don't know the answer.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Addendum: I just overheard a conversation among the 1Password for Mac team that included the fact that subdomains (e.g., subdomain.domain.com) still work as expected in matching only subdomain.domain.com but that "subsubdomains" (e.g., subsubdomain.subdomain.domain.com) still match with *.domain.com.

Again, you'd probably be best served by confirming this in the Mac forums.

This discussion has been closed.