Cannot copy-paste auto-generated password

Willem_ja
Willem_ja
Community Member

I would like to change my password for a site to a secure auto-generated password.
I can generate a secure password with 1Password, but the site does not allow me to paste a new password on the account change page.

Is there an alternative to writing the password down on a piece of paper and re-typing it.. twice ?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

At this time, it is probably a lot easier to change a password using the desktop apps where you can fill Generated Passwords directly via the browser extensions even on sites that do not allow paste. We have a complete guide available:

Changing a Login's Password

That said, if you prefer to use your iOS device or are not syncing with 1Password on your desktop computer, you may be able to create a new Login item with the generated password and fill it on the password change page. I don't have high hopes for it working out well since you would need to fill both the old Login item with the existing password and the new Login item with the generated password on what would likely be the same page. My guess is that the password would be overwritten when you filled the second Login item, but it would depend on the site.

Could you provide the URL? I'd love to take a look and see if there is an obvious solution on the specific site.

I'll also make sure the developers are aware of this situation. My understanding is that there is a plan to bring the password generator to browser mode on iOS just like it is in the extension(s) on the desktop, but I can't give any details or a time frame right now.

• Willem_ja
    Willem_ja
    Community Member

It is the change password screen of PayPal (www.paypal.com).
    The screen requires entering the current password and the new password twice.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2013

I would recommend just making the change on the desktop where you can use the browser extension to fill the Generated Password directly — no copy or paste necessary — as described in the aforelinked section of the User Guide.

You can also force a web form to allow paste, but I don't think there is a way to use the bookmarklet to do so in 1Password's built-in browser, so it remains pretty fiddly if you are trying to copy and paste back and forth between 1Password and Mobile Safari.

I think the password generator in the built-in browser on iOS will really help. I don't have a time frame for a specific release, but it is definitely on our radar. :)

• Willem_ja
    Willem_ja
    Community Member

ok, thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

This discussion has been closed.