Secure way to share items with other users

Options
face
face
Community Member
edited April 2013 in iOS

Waiting for a feature that allow to share one or more items with other 1P users using Dropbox (when ???) just wonder if using mail (no clear text) it's a secure way to share items. I see that is possible to send mail using clear text and in another way: with latter is it secure ?
data are encrypted within email ???

Comments

• face
    face
    Community Member
    Options

Any chance to add this important feature ?
    Thanks

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Face,

I'm sorry for the lack of response in this. At the moment, we're using the default share activity that iOS includes by default, which doesn't include other services like Dropbox.

Dropbox would be difficult to implement as there are no APIs for something like this, it might let us upload to Dropbox, but I don't believe there is a way to set it to share with a specific Dropbox user only. I might be wrong, I'll ask to see if this is possible.

Sharing via iMessage is more secure than email because the encryption are there end to end, so it's not likely others can break into it. Emails don't have encryption, so if it is possible, use iMessage instead.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @face,

The question is how to do it securely? In order to do that, the other end needs to know the private key in order to decrypt the data properly. Sending the private key through the other side is pointless because somebody can intercept that and use it to decrypt whatever is coming.

It is something we're considering in the long term but I don't know when it'll happen.

For now, using iMessage should help because it does end to end encryption, so it can be send through in clear view while understanding that it would require warrants for Apple to decrypt the content of those messages.

This discussion has been closed.