Firefox Plugin issues

leesweet
leesweet
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Finally got 1P running on my iPhone, iPad, Windows PC, and Macbook Pro, and all synced to Dropbox (another thread on that issue coming...).

So, questions on the FF Plugin:

1. Is there a way to see all the generated passwords in the plugin, like you can in the main apps? From what I can find, you only can see the ones 'for the current page/site'. If that's true, is there a good reason why there's no category, etc., for 'all generated passwords' in the plugin?

2. This may be an FF issue (I'm always on the current version, BTW), but editing a 1P entry in the plugin is seemingly dependent on how many tabs you have open. If I have more than as few as four open, I can't modify the name of a new entry, etc. (delete and edit (arrow keys) don't work, can't paste password). Could memory be that in demand? (Of course, it's open in edit mode... :) )

3. The 'arrow' for opening up an entry to then examine/edit appears to be extremely picky. If you don't place the mouse pointer exactly at the tip or after it, it just executes the 'go to webpage and login'. Shouldn't/can't this work so any clicks in the whole arrow circle be 'open entry'?

I have to add I've seen these on Windows. I don't know if they exist on OS X; they might or might not. I can try to reproduce if it matters. It's the same plugin, so you'd expect them to (except perhaps for the memory/edit issue).

Thanks for a great product, even with a few nits. I now have monstrous passwords almost everywhere.... Love it! :)

-Lee

Comments

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

I saw this was moved... should we assume all plugin questions are identical and go in the Mac area?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Ah, I missed that this was a Windows issue. Moving to the Windows forum. ;)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Lol, thanks. I don't know if it matters. These may all be present in both. I was wondering why we don't have a Windows plugin sub-forum, but I do recognize the Mac is the major platform. (I assume so?)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's correct. We get such a larger number of posts about Mac Browser Extensions that it hasn't yet been necessary to create a separate category for Windows Browser Extensions, so we just keep all Windows issues in one place. :) Just for clarification: the browser extensions themselves are identical across Mac and Windows. However, some issues may be platform specific, since the extensions do connect to different native background processes in OS X and Windows.

Also, sorry I moved your post without actually addressing it yesterday. I was running out the door and didn't realize you'd be "watching" as I moved it. I am nestled in now and ready to reply. :P

1. Not at this time. The "View password history" button in the extension will only show the generated passwords for the domain you are currently viewing. The complete list is in the main application, as you mentioned (View > Generated Passwords). The reason for this is that the generated passwords in the extension are available for filling, and 1Password has anti-phishing technology. My guess is that the developers probably thought it too confusing to have passwords listed that couldn't be filled because the domain didn't match. Perhaps we can change this in the future, but i suspect that's why it is like that right now.

2. I have not been able to reproduce this. Could you give me the exact steps you are taking? Where does it fail? Try it with only one tab. I don't think the number of tabs would have any effect at all. I suppose it it possible, but I'd be extremely surprised if that was a factor.

3. Ah. I actually thought this might be part of (2) above, but I see you split it out into a separate point. It's on our list to improve, but for now you should be able to just use the Right arrow key on your keyboard to view an item's details.

I hope that helps a bit, but please let me know especially about (2).

Thanks!

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    1. Having them in the app is fine, now that I'm more familiar with what's where, thanks for the clarification!
    2. It happens all the time. If I have a row of tabs (over four or five), the extension is unresponsive to editing, etc. It works fine, as fill/go, but I can't edit, rename, etc. I don't know what else to tell you... I don't know if Diagnostics would tell you anything about what the extension is doing?
    3. Ahhh. I did see that today when I was installing the extension on the browsers on my MBP (see, I'm a cross-platform person, too!). I'll try the right arrow. I like keyboarding more than mousing anyway. :) Thanks!
  • leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

And, btw, this is a Windows-specific issue. I'm on my MBP now with about 16 tabs in FF and it's fine. So, as always, Windows is the one that is unstable. Lol. Shocker, I know. I can reboot my Windows PC and not start anything except FF and see if it's any better. It's a W7 Ultimate, with 8 GB of RAM, for what that's worth.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

And, now, on the Windows PC, the FF extension seems to work. It must be more bad memory management, as I thought.

Also, the 'right arrow' is a great answer. Much easier to use than the mouse for the little arrow.

A new thought/feature. Am I missing something, or is there no way to 'auto-copy' an extension-generated password when you 'fill' a change-password field? I often use ctrl-C to copy the password to go back and update the stored one. Either having the same 'copy'/'copied' button that the stored password has also here would be a great help (or 'auto save it in the clipboard' when you fill it) would work also.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

And, btw, this is a Windows-specific issue. I'm on my MBP now with about 16 tabs in FF and it's fine. So, as always, Windows is the one that is unstable. Lol. Shocker, I know. I can reboot my Windows PC and not start anything except FF and see if it's any better. It's a W7 Ultimate, with 8 GB of RAM, for what that's worth.

:) This is helpful to know. Thank you for helping us narrow it down. I'll do some more testing in the next few days, but I'm glad things are working well for now. Please keep me posted.

A new thought/feature. Am I missing something, or is there no way to 'auto-copy' an extension-generated password when you 'fill' a change-password field? I often use ctrl-C to copy the password to go back and update the stored one. Either having the same 'copy'/'copied' button that the stored password has also here would be a great help (or 'auto save it in the clipboard' when you fill it) would work also.

Agreed. It would be great to automatically copy a filled password to the clipboard. I'll pass your vote along for this!

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member

Thanks, Khad! I think this is closed with your taking the vote for the auto-copy (or option for copy/copied button). I'll let you know if I can reproduce any steps that break the editing on the Windows side for the FF extension.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Much appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.