Dropbox files: which files are needed?

Options
leesweet
leesweet
Community Member

I've not seen this addressed, and I wanted to confirm before I deleted anything. :)

I had multiple iOS apps (iPhone, iPad) (1P4). Then I migrated to using 'everything': I followed the process to get 1P3 for my Macbook Pro and Windows PC and everything using the single copy in Dropbox. This left me with '1Password' and 1Password.agilekeychain' folder/trees in Dropbox.

The question is : I assume from the modified dates that I can delete the '1Password' folder, right?

I don't think this is explicitly stated anywhere, and always wondered why the two generations use different filenames/structures, since in the 1Password folder does have a 1Password.agilekeychain structure in it (but it's all the same old date, from when I migrated to the combination of using all four copies of versions 3 and 4...).

I believe you are 'fixing all this' when the non-iOS versions move to 4.... that will be nice!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This scenario can happen when you already have a 1Password data file in your Dropbox folder but decline to use it when 1Password asks you to do so. In that case 1Password will ignore the data file in your Dropbox folder and create one in your Library folder. if you later decide to move your data file to Dropbox the existing data file will be renamed and set aside. Only one data file should be located in your Dropbox folder, though, to avoid confusion.

What is the location of the data file listed in 1Password's preferences on the General pane? That is the active data file. Just to double-check, you can also look at the "Modified" date of the files — as you mentioned —to see which one is likely your active data file.

You can archive the file that is not listed in 1Password's preferences and has an older "Modified" date.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I followed Support's instructions on migrating to using the combo OS X/PC Dropbox for 1P3 along with the iOS 1P4 version. :) The data path of the new/current one is top level: Users -> lee -> Dropbox -> 1Password.agilekeychain.

I assume that means (and also from the timestamp) that I can just delete the other (older) data folder/tree? (BTW, you can tell it's the old one also by the fact that it doesn't have an html 1Password Anywhere file since it came from the iOS/1P4 apps, as you were discussing in that other thread! :) )

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The app should have automatically detected the existing data file in that case, but, yes, you can archive — I wouldn't recommend deleting — the data file that is not in use. :)

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds good, but I don't see any way to do anything like that on the dropbox site; they have rename or delete. Where should I 'archive' the folder?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On your Mac, just move it anywhere outside your Dropbox folder. A backup drive would be well suited for the task.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, lol, I was looking at it from the Dropbox point of view, not the local file system. :) Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.