Internet Explorer is denying access to a frame because it is on some other domain

This discussion was created from comments split from: Windows 7 with IE 10.

Comments

• NapMan
    NapMan
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

I decided to give IE 10 a try on my Windows 7 64-bit work machine. Been hearing some good things about it. First site I tried to log into was Slacker Radio (www.slacker.com) and it won't work. I get an error that says "Internet Explorer is denying access to a <frame> because it is on some other domain." Any thoughts?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I split your post from the other thread since this is a specific known issue (and actually dates back to before version 10 of Internet Explorer).

The message that you are seeing is specific to Internet Explorer. IE is preventing something called "cross-domain scripting".

Essentially, it comes down to this: when the login <form> is inside some <frame> and this <frame> is hosted on some other domain (other than the current domain), then IE does not allow scripting access to that <frame> (and that's why 1Password cannot touch it).

Whenever this happens, our advice is to use Auto-Type or the 1Password extension in a different web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.

In addition to that, the site is using Adobe Flash. 1Password is unable to save and restore Logins for sites that use Adobe Flash. As far as we know, no browser password manager anywhere supports Flash-based sites because Flash is a proprietary solution. At this time, Adobe does not offer interface tools for developers to plug into Flash in the way that 1Password and other form fillers require.

After working with a Flash consultant and reviewing the latest APIs provided by Adobe we found it is still not possible unless websites modify their code to allow it.

Most websites realize the problems with using Flash and provide a standard HTML login page as well. If you cannot find one, the workaround is the same as the workaround for the issue above in IE: Auto-Type.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

• Freway01
    Freway01
    Community Member

I'm having this problem on my laptop since the recent update. When I try to log into my Google account using IE (IE10) on my Windows 8 Pro laptop (from the Windows desktop because 1Password isn't supported via Metro). I tried the Auto-Type recommendations but that didn't work.

The only way I could get the password into the log-in screen was to open 1Password and manually copy the password and paste the password into the password box. 1Password works okay with all of my other browsers but not IE. Telling users to use a different browser is a work around to the problem, but it isn't a FIX.

If 1Password isn't compatible with IE10, Agilebits should fix it or post a disclaimer that it doesn't seamlessly work with all browsers. I use IE for a reason and if 1Password doesn't want to play nice with IE, maybe it's time to look for a product that does. Sure Agilebits has my money, but instead of giving them more (I'm sure they'll want me to pay for the next version if they ever come out with one), I may have to look at other options that will manage my passwords on the two platforms I use, Windows (8 on both desktop and Metro) and Android.

If there is no way to fix this problem, please tell me so I can start looking.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2013

There shouldn't be any frame error or any need to use Auto-Type with a Google Login. What is the specific URL you are using?

As for the frame error itself it is a problem with IE not 1Password. You'll need to take up any problem in that regard with Microsoft. As I wrote above, the message that you are seeing is specific to Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is preventing something called "cross-domain scripting". When the login <form> is inside some <frame> and this <frame> is hosted on some other domain (other than the current domain), then Internet Explorer does not allow scripting access to that <frame> (and that's why 1Password cannot touch it).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I agree. It is annoying. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above there isn't much of anything we can do about it. I would recommend either using Auto-Type or another browser that doesn't have this limitation if you want to avoid this.

This discussion has been closed.