Firefox keyboard shortcut does not direct to the correct window [RESOLVED in 3.9.13.b3]

mgrad92
mgrad92
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

When I have multiple Firefox windows open, using the 1Password keyboard shortcut in the window most recently opened now switches me to an older Firefox window and shows me the 1Password menu there. Logging in there obviously doesn't fill my user/password information in the now-backgrounded window. This wasn't an issue before I installed the latest update.

Comments

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Until the recent update of 1Password to the current version, 1PW was working perfectly. Since the update, I'm having an issue with 1PW, with Firefox. After a clean restart/reboot, I open FF, and navigate to a website. With the credentials window visible, I press CTRL+F, and sometimes the 1PW login selector appears, sometimes it does not. In the cases when it does appear, the strange thing is that it often seems to appear on a differnt monitor, and it seems to be associated with another browser session, rather the session from which it was invoked.
    At any rate, with the 1PW login selector window open, I choose one of the logins, and hit enter. Instead of inserting the username and password into the fields on the credentials screen, I find that the 1PW login selector dissapears, and no credentials are entered into the credentials fields.
    I've found that this behavior sometimes appears only after my workstation has browsed several different sites through Firefox, and sometimes it starts happening immediately after a reboot.
    It is truly unfortunate that this is happening. it's taken almost 6 months to get 1PW working perfectly, and now, it's no longer working, which is a terrible inconvenience, so I ask for help as an "urgent request".

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

If you want to search within the 1Password extension popup in Firefox (or Chrome or Safari) simply open the extension popup and begin typing. There is no need to press any other keyboard shortcut to search the extension. CTRL+F is a Firefox shortcut not a 1Password extension shortcut.

What is the URL where your Login is not being filled in? I'd love to take a look. There is a known issue in Firefox, and I want to make sure we're on the same page.

Thanks!

• mgrad92
    mgrad92
    Community Member

I think this is the same behavior I'm seeing. If so, cjmusante means that using the Ctrl-\ shortcut with several Firefox windows available now opens the extension popup in a window other than the one he's currently using.

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Yes, I'm terribly sorry for my mis-typing earlier today. mgrad92 is correct, what I meant to type is CTRL+\
    I'm glad that someone else is seeing the same behavior.
    Does this new information help you understand what we're seeing, and is there anything else I can do to provide info?
    Also, I'm not sure what is causing it, but I'm not being notified of these replies. Arghhhh....

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

Hmmm, this time I typed the sequence correctly, but it was stripped out, and replaced with the cryptic string that you see befor you, so let me be crystal clear. I was pressing the key sequence of the CTRL key and the slash key simultaneously, which triggers the standard interrupt for 1Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for reporting this. I've passed this along to the developers so we can get it resolved as soon as possible. :)

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

RM4393

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure what is causing it, but I'm not being notified of these replies.

Please be sure to bookmark the thread if you wish to receive email notifications of replies. Click the star in the top right corner of the page (next to the "gear" and above the "POST A REPLY" button).

I typed the sequence correctly, but it was stripped out

When you surround a word with greater than and less than signs it is interpretted as HTML since that is how an HTML tag is specified. I edited your post above to use the standard convention for keyboard shortcuts in Windows: CTRL+\

using the Ctrl-\ shortcut with several Firefox windows available now opens the extension popup in a window other than the one he's currently using.

Thanks! I'm merging this with the existing thread for this issue.

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

I've searched through the support forum, and do not see another issue that is related to this, yet you said that you're merging the two issues. Can you please provide a link to this other issue?
    Solving the issue is certainly more important than worrying about the syntax for inserting shortcut notations, so for now, I'll drop the issue of not receiving notifications, and with the keyboard shortcuts.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Forgot to merge. Merged now. Sorry for the confusion. :)

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

Hi there, I see that you've stated that you've merged multiple threads together, but I've looked through the forum, and I do not see any indication that this thread is no longer avtive or that it refers to another thread.
    From reading this thread, it seems that there is no information about how to resolve the problem, although it appears that the same, or a similar problem is happening in Chrome.
    Can you please provide better information about how we are to track this thread.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013

There isn't really any indication of a merged thread other than all the additional posts that are now in this thread that were not in this thread before. I'll repost my reply from post 7 above:

Thank you for reporting this. I've passed this along to the developers so we can get it resolved as soon as possible.

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help!

It's on our list and will be resolved in an update. Let me know if you are still confused about anything. I'd be happy to provide further assistance if you need it.

Cheers! :)

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

Hello Khad,
    Not having the 1Password functionality available to me is reallying killing my productivity. Until such a time that the team isolates, and corrects the problem, is there a way for me to downgrade to the previous version?
    Thanks

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

Hello Khad,
    Not having the 1Password functionality available to me is reallying killing my productivity. Until such a time that the team isolates, and corrects the problem, is there a way for me to downgrade to the previous version?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

1Password still functioned. The issue was only when (a) using the keyboard shortcut (b) with multiple windows. It was a specific issue that didn't affect using 1Password via the mouse in any way.

There is not a way to go backwards, but I'm happy to report that the issue has already been resolved. ;)

If you aren't seeing the fix already, make sure you install the beta version of the Firefox extension.

Please let me know if there is ever anything else we can help with. We appreciate your feedback. :)

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member
    edited April 2013

I submitted this topic previously, and after a week of discussions, you stated that the problem was resolved in a new version, which was a beta version. I reluctantly installed the beta version and did some very brief testing, and it seemed to work.

Well, it's been 2 days since then, and unfortunately, the problem is not resolved, and I'm running your beta version 1.0.9.327, and the brand new Firefox version 20.0, and the problem is still present.

Previously, you implied that this was not a critical bug because it was only related to the shortcut, and the other features worked just fine, but that's not true. The problem is that the popup that lists all of the login accounts, does not seem to know which browser it is supposed to connect to.
    Sometimes, the popup allows me to select a login, and no matter how many times I select a login, nothing happens.
    Sometimes, the popup pops up next to a different browser entirely, so visually, it looks like it is clearly confused with which browser it was called from
    Sometimes, it happens with only one browser open, and sometimes, it happens with multiple browsers and multiple tabs open.

This is really a problem. Can you please provide us with an older version to download so that we can use it until you get this resolved? I'm growing frustrated with the product, the process, the lack of quality in the releases, and the fact that your forums don't seem to alert me when a reply has been posted. So, I emplore you to help us by providing an older version that works, giving us some to breath while you resolve the problem.

Previous discussion located at:
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12524/firefox-keyboard-shortcut-does-not-direct-to-the-correct-window-resolved-in-3-9-13-b3#latest

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that you are still having trouble, cjmusante. Let's figure out what is happening on your specific system since no one else has been able to reproduce the issue since it was resolved. If there is still an edge case we would love to get it taken care of.

It sounds like perhaps you installed the beta version of the main 1Password application which is not what I suggested in my post in that thread. You need to install the beta version of the 1Password Firefox extension. Here are the steps again.

1. Click the button in 1Password's preferences on the Browsers tab to install the Firefox extension.

2. Check the "Allow beta extensions" box and click the button to install the beta version of the 1Password Firefox extension.

3. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation of the beta version of the 1Password Firefox extension.

Can you confirm for me which version of the 1Password extension you have installed in Firefox?

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

My sincere apologies. It appears as though I misunderstood your last set of instructions. I must admit, the way that the 1Password UI is organized seems unorthodox to me at times, and this was one of those cases. It just seems to me that the ability to allow beta downloads for the app, and the extensions should be in the same place, not in two different places in the app. And you should not have to click on a button which shows the current version number, to come to a screen which allows you to select "allow beta versions", after which the beta versions become visible.
    Nevertheless, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.
    The new Beta version does indeed solve the problem, and... It has a cool feature that shows up when it inserts the text into the username and password fields.
    Thanks for the help,
    Enjoy the weekend

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

No apology needed. I'm just glad everything is working well. :)

Let me know if there is ever anything else I can help with.

All the best!

This discussion has been closed.