Chrome extension unable to connect to Helper [restarted Helper]

pinpoint007
pinpoint007
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi, I just installed the new Chrome extension per the blog post, but I can't unlock 1P through it anymore. I can open the Mac app directly, but I can't log into the extension...I have no idea what to do now to troubleshoot it.

Comments

• pinpoint007
    pinpoint007
    Community Member

btw, the icon has a red exclamation mark on it, and when I enter my master password it just says "connecting" and counts up indefinitely as far as I can tell.

• pinpoint007
    pinpoint007
    Community Member

Hi, I saw another post for an issue someone had with Safari, so I followed that advice (restarting the helper) and it works now. Whew...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

Please do keep us posted, though, if you have any other trouble. You shouldn't have to restart the Helper with any regularity.

• lake15
    lake15
    Community Member

I've had no success with getting my Helper Extension connected to my Chrome browser.

I've been doing lots of reading on the forums and updating and installing. Everything is at the latest version.

This is an iMac inherited from a co-worker. in the 1Password app, I designated a new path to my Dropbox 1Password file.

The Mac App of 1Password recognizes the new file and launches perfectly.

The extensions are messed up.

Chrome extension (Helper app) does not connect and shows red badge and simply displays Counting 1 2 3 etc. Tried to TRASH 1PasswordAgent as outlined. On restart, this file reappears (ie I was UNABLE to trash it.)

The Safari browser helper does open, but only when I enter the PREVIOUS employees Dropbox master password.

Hmmmm.

It seems that 1Password still is confused as to which MASTER file of 1Password it wants to 'look' at.

Also, the other main goal is to get the Chrome extension working.

Thanks.

Gordon

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013

It sounds like you just need to remove and reinstall the 1Password extension in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox if you also use Firefox. This is necessary if you swap data files out from under 1Password. The extension is still trying to authenticate to the old data file. It sounds like that is what is happening in your case. Here are instructions for removing the browser extensions:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/uninstalling_extensions.html

Then just select "Install Browser Extensions" from 1Password's application menu to install them again.

If you're still having trouble, please tell me which specific versions of 1Password, Chrome, and the 1Password Chrome extension you are using. "Latest version" is not helpful if there is a problem with automatic updates somewhere or if you are in the beta channel for any one (or all) of those. :)

And please don't trash 1PasswordAgent or do anything else unless we instruct you to. I'm not sure where you read that, but each case can be very different. Please don't get ahead of us. We'll get it resolved much more quickly if we don't have to backtrack a bunch. We're here to help.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.