Two Macs not staying in sync

This discussion was created from comments split from: How are Dropbox syncing conflicts resolved?.

Comments

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

Conflicts will almost never occur as long as you have a network connection...

I'm using 1PW 3.9.6 MAS on 2 Macs (a fully loaded, Mid 2010 MBP & a minimalist, Late 2009 Mac mini), both using 10.8.3, that are on my home LAN with both are using Dropbox sync (as well as additionally my iOS devices, all using 1PW 4.1.2). Also, I'm currently using Dropbox 2.0.8 on both Macs.

I never have the 2 1PW MAS apps active at the same time; and, it's my MBP I use when making changes to 1PW either within 1PW or web site Login additions / edits.

The reoccurring issue with my 2 1PW MAS apps is that their not staying in sync via Dropbox.

Periodically, the Mac mini's 1PW gets out of sync which is noticeable by the Items Count being different (usually less 1 item) from the correct, Items Count shown by 1PW on my MBP. [I do not have this issue occurring on any of my iOS devices, which always stay in sync via Dropbox.] So, it seems the 1Password.agilekeychain in my Mac mini's Dropbox folder that's periodically not syncing. ...I don't understand how that happens.

The only way I've figured out to resolve, is to mount my Mac mini on my MBP desktop and copy / replace the 1Password.agilekeychain file from my MBP Dropbox folder to my Mac mini's Dropbox folder. (I do a 1PW backup on my MBP before carrying out this procedure. But it scares me in doing this workaround as I see files in my Dropbox folder (at Dropbox) being changed (via Growl notifications), but the result is this procedure corrects the sync (at least, temporarily) of my 1PW on my Mac mini.

While I'm describing a different conflict than BiomedEngineer, my issue does seem to be a sort of sync conflict issue.

Any thoughts about the cause?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013

Hi pbGuy,

I split your post from the other thread since it sounds like you are indeed describing a pretty different issue. I want to make sure you get the attention you deserve. :)

1. Is it possible that you have more than one data file in (any subfolder in) your Dropbox folder?
    2. Is your Dropbox folder located in your Home folder on both Macs? If not, 1Password won't be able to access it.
    3. What is the path listed to your data file on each Mac? Here is my own as an example:

Users > khad > Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    1. My Dropbox folder has just the one data file.

2. My Dropbox folder, on each Mac, is located in each respective Home folder and has just the one data file.

3. Both Macs are set up to sync with Dropbox, using a path just as your image shows; and, there is just the one data file.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hm. That is strange. It sounds like everything should be syncing presuming Dropbox is installed and running on each machine.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please send us Diagnostics Reports from each machine?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the reports.

Then attach the entire files to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

I also think the issue strange, principally because it does not consistently happen.

This issue seems to occur (based upon casual observation) when I've made an edit-change to 1PW MAS on my MBP while my Mac mini was in Sleep mode (obviously, not active on my LAN). Then, upon the Mac mini being brought out of Sleep, 1PW seems most likely to incorrectly sync (essentially, not sync) with the newly edited, 1PW data file on Dropbox.

I offer this thought because when I have had my Mac mini active on my LAN and made an edit-change to 1PW on my MBP, I see the Dropbox Finder-icon update on the Mac mini, and when subsequently I activate the Mac mini's 1PW, 1PW usually will have the correct edit-change update(s).

So, I'm not at all sure whether this issue relates specifically to 1PW MAS, my minimalist (min. RAM) Mac mini in Sleep mode, OS 10.8.3, or Dropbox.

Note: Depending upon how much longer it will be for availability of 1PW4 MAS, I can live with the issue as it currently manifests itself in the hope 1PW4 MAS resolves it. So, please don't overwork to resolve this issue with 1PW 3.9.6 MAS as I'm more concerned with what happens with the newer 1PW4.

I'll follow-up by emailing the requested, diagnostic files.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for following up! If you have sent your Diagnostics Report but not received a reply yet, I'm sure you will soon. We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved. :)

NUA-54984-873

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

For the possible benefit of others (and, based upon your suggestion), I completed a Clear Cache & Data File Rebuild; and while as of this writing it's uncertain if these tasks resolved the sync issue, I do think it might have as I've not had a reoccurrence since doing so. ...Time will tell for sure.

(Now... when is 1PW4 MAS arriving - @ WWDC? ...I'm keen to get it when the unveiling takes place.)

Thank you again for your capable assistance.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It is my pleasure to help. Please do let us know if you have any further trouble at all. :)

(Now... when is 1PW4 MAS arriving - @ WWDC? ...I'm keen to get it when the unveiling takes place.)

We don't normally pre-announce release dates as too many factors (some beyond our control) affect them. Please stay tuned. ;)

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

A follow-up, anecdotal note on this issue -

Since my last post, I have had several reoccurrences where 1PW (on my 2 Macs) has not been in sync. (It occurs - if it does occur - after I've edited 1PW MAS on my MBP. Also, this occurrence is irregular.)

When I've got 1PW MAS active on my Mac mini (and after waiting a short time to see if any sync update occurs - and if none does take place), I've cleared the Cache. This seems to immediately force a sync update, for 1PW MAS on the Mac mini, that puts the 2 Macs back in sync.

Does this sound like a reasonable, corrective procedure? Or, should I be expecting both Macs to be in sync since the respective 1PW MAS apps are using the same data file on Dropbox?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Did you ever end up emailing us Diagnostics Reports? You shouldn't need to clear the cache with any regularity, and we'd love to take a look to see if we can determine what is happening in your specific case.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

My mistake. Of course you did email us your Diagnostics Reports. I just found your support ticket. Could you generate new ones and email them? I'd like to get a fresh look and compare them to the previous reports. If you still have the old email thread replying to that would be helpful.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

I've now sent updated Reports. I didn't retain the prior email thread, but I did additionally send the prior Reports for comparison to the ones run today.

Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We will reply as soon as possible if someone hasn't already replied.

This discussion has been closed.