"Syncing" in Chrome extension

kationok
kationok
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I just reinstalled Google Chrome and 1Password extension needed to be reinstalled. Here are a few things that I'd love to see changed sometime in the future because the extra steps I had to go through didn't seem justified.

I went to Chrome Web Store and downloaded the extension (thanks for adding it there btw!). Then I went some web site, clicked on 1p but after unlocking it I had to wait for quite a while for it to synchronize. I closed it after it got to 50 (I have around 200 items to sync). It should be possible to sync the items that are needed at that very moment, the login information for the web site that is open, allow user to login and then to continue sync'ing the rest in the background.

The other thing is that I wanted 1p to generate new password for another web site and once again, upon unlocking it started sync'ing data, which was a bit strange since generating new password had nothing to do with the stored data. That was 10 minutes after I closed 1p extension the first time and I expected it to finish with the sync at that point.

Just a few notes, it's obviously not critical and not many people will see this behavior but it would still improve user experience if those small hiccups weren't there.

P.S. not to forget... you did awesome job so far, I love 1p and hope it'll stay the best

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words, @kationok!

I went to Chrome Web Store and downloaded the extension (thanks for adding it there btw!). Then I went some web site, clicked on 1p but after unlocking it I had to wait for quite a while for it to synchronize. I closed it after it got to 50 (I have around 200 items to sync). It should be possible to sync the items that are needed at that very moment, the login information for the web site that is open, allow user to login and then to continue sync'ing the rest in the background.

The word "syncing" in this context can be a bit confusing. The actual syncing of the data file to the sandboxed browser extension database should be practically instant. If you saw the word "syncing" and a count going up, there was probably a problem with the Helper's connection to the extension. If all your data is there now, it should be fine, but please let me know if you have a red badge on the 1Password toolbar button in Chrome or if you see that "syncing" message again in the extension. You shouldn't. :)

• kationok
    kationok
    Community Member

Yeah everything is ok now (yay!), no red badge too. But it was a bit weird to see that's all. :)

• Hey @kationok,

Excellent! I'm glad all is well, and thank you for confirming.

I know the red badge of "discourage" can be a weird sight, but I'm happy that it was only temporary, as @khad surmised it would be.

Thanks again for letting us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.