Local file restrictions in modern browsers: encryptionKeys.js error in 1PasswordAnywhere

winemaker
winemaker
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have had 1 ps on computer long time and it works great. Lately My computer has large issues (not starting programs etc) and I am about ready to replace hard drive with solid state and reformat everything. I just found out I cannot open the agile key chain (I know it worked last year) when I copy it to external drive and open it with Mozilla I get this error:

A problem occurred when loading the "file:///C:/Users/William%20C.%20Schnute/Documents/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file.

I just want access to the information over the rebuild period. (I tried to download dropbox - but my computer would not load it)

???

Comments

• winemaker
    winemaker
    Community Member

NOte - I also copied the key chain to a mac computer, tried to open it and received the same error.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2013

From the 1PasswordAnywhere section in the User Guide:

Many browsers prevent 1PasswordAnywhere from loading files from the local file system. You can still access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website, however.

The problem is that you are trying to access 1PasswordAnywhere from your local filesystem which is something that Firefox blocks. Just access it from the Dropbox website like this:

1. Log into the Dropbox website: https://dropbox.com/
    2. Open the 1Password.html file inside 1Password.agilekeychain.
    3. Enter your master password to unlock 1PasswordAnywhere.

Of course, that presumes you are syncing via Dropbox. If not, you can use the workaround to load it from the local filesystem in Chrome. It's the last section here:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere_troubleshooting.html

• winemaker
    winemaker
    Community Member

There is still something else wrong. I copied the file to a mac and also put it on my server and it did not work. I am hoping all is fine when I reformat my computer. It there a way to copy the data to a text file?

• winemaker
    winemaker
    Community Member

Ok - I did the text file ok - so that Is good - I think it will be better when computer is reformated - there are other programs that will not install or load right now.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Loading 1PasswordAnywhere from the file system will not work. You need to load it from the Dropbox website or use the command line switch for Chrome. If the address bar in your browser begins with file:/// when you are trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere then you are loading it from the local file system and will not work.

This discussion has been closed.