Mac App Store purchase after AgileBits store purchase

Options
fcbl
fcbl
Community Member
edited May 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have 3.8.21 from App store. Do I have to re-buy 3.9?
If not how do I upgrade ?
Frank

Comments

• fcbl
    fcbl
    Community Member
    Options

I may have got from website, I don't show it listed in my purchased list at apple.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A number of folks have asked us if there is a way to transfer a 1Password license purchased directly from AgileBits into Apple's Mac App Store. It certainly would be awesome if Apple provided a way to transfer licenses. Unfortunately, Apple does not allow license transfers into (or out of) the App Store at this time.

Some particularly savvy folks have suggested that we could provide codes for existing customers to redeem on the Mac App Store. Alas, Apple only provides developers a very small number of codes, and we can't request extras for the media, refunds, or even customer support. (Although it would probably prevent us from ever eating or sleeping if we tried to distribute so many codes to so many customers.)

There are a couple very important things to keep in mind.

1. Presuming you are a 1Password 3 license holder and you purchased your license directly from AgileBits, the version of 1Password in the Mac App Store is essentially identical to the version of 1Password you are already using. There is no reason to purchase 1Password again. How nice is that? The version of 1Password on the Mac App Store is not an upgrade. It is just the same app in a different store. You might want to think of it like buying an album from the iTunes Music Store and Amazon's MP3 Store. If you buy the album in one store, you don't need to purchase it again from the other one. You've already got the music you want. Rock on!

2. If you do decide that you would like to purchase 1Password again on the Mac App Store anyway, it will not be in vain! All Mac App Store copies of 1Password come with a free upgrade to 1Password 4 when it is available.

In short, you can either wait to jump on the Mac App Store bandwagon when 1Password 4 comes out, or take the dive now and get the upgrade free when 1Password 4 is released. If you decide to wait, you won't be missing out on anything for now with your current copy of 1Password 3.

We hope that helps explain the situation a little bit better and allows you to make an informed decision — the best one for your particular situation.

This discussion has been closed.