"3-minute expert" overview always loads in Safari

Hi. Every time I start Safari it presents me with a window containing my default homepage – in my case Google, since that's my preference. That's all fine and dandy. Unfortunately Safari also opens a tab with the 1Password "3-minute expert overview" in the same window, even though I've set the Safari preference panel to only open up the Google homepage, and nothing else. I didn't mind that the "Welcome to the 1Password extension" and 3-minute guide showed up the first time after I had installed 1Password and the extension, since there is some useful information there – but the tab opens EVERY time I start Safari! Not that it's that hard to close it but it seems like a waste of time and clock-cycles – and above all it's fairly annoying… ;-) I always use the latest version of Safari as well as 1Password and its browser extensions, but it's been like this for the past six months or so, regardless of software versions.

I use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox about as much as Safari – again, always the latest versions – and the same problem has been occurring there too. However, come the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox this bad behavior has suddenly stopped – but it's still present in Safari. Is there any way I can rid myself and Safari from having to see the 3-minute 1Password "rookie guide" every time I start the browser, other than blocking it in my firewall or hosts file?

Computer configuration:

I'm using a minutely updated OS X 10.8.3 with the latest versions of Safari, Firefox and Chrome, and perhaps I should also mention that I use the latest versions of Objective Developments "Little Snitch" and Sophos Anti-Virus. As for browser extensions I run the latest versions of Adobe Flash and Air, together with QuickTime, Silverlight and Flip4Mac. On top of all this I run the latest versions of 1Password and its browser extensions.

Final words:

Apart from the above mentioned problem 1Password is probably one of the very best and most useful softwares I've ever bought. That's quite the laudation, considering I've been a Mac user since 1984 and bought a LOT of software since. But you've earned it: all-in-all 1Password is indeed a very good piece of work! :-)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much for your incredibly kind words, @PixelHermit! Please read this support article which explains the situation:

Why does the 'Welcome to 1Password' page keep opening in Safari?

• PixelHermit
    PixelHermit
    Community Member

Thank you for your swift reply. I've read the support article you provided and can say that I've never used the "Reset Safari" feature, nor have I set any of my browsers to reopen any tabs in future web sessions. Nonetheless the article got me on the right track. Pondering the issue I realised that I use a software called NetShred X, which in effect works the same way as the Reset Safari feature except it applies to all of the browsers, not only Safari. The reason I didn't mention it before is probably a result of me taking NetShred's "set it and forget it"-approach a bit too literally… To conclude, I guess we'll have to wait for Apple to fix the bug in Safari. With some (or probably quite a lot of) luck this whole issue might very soon be a thing of the past, come the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in just a few weeks.

As for me and 1Password I consider this issue as resolved as can be, at least for now. After all it's only a matter of closing a tab – hence: over and out. :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We also have a support article showing how to properly configure NetShred X. :)

How To: Configure NetShred X for use with 1Password

• PixelHermit
    PixelHermit
    Community Member

Thanks a bunch, it works like a charm!

• That's great, I'm glad it helped!

We are looking into different ways to handle this without waiting for a bug fix from Apple. Hopefully, we'll find something soon!

This discussion has been closed.