1PasswordAgent.app wants to use your confidential information

Options

I recently made a clone of my iMac's internal HD to an external FW800 HD. I wiped the internal, did a clean install of 10.8.3, then used Migration Assistant to move the data back from the external to the internal. Now each time I restart it presents a dialog in the Finder that says "1PasswordAgent.app wants to use your confidential information stored in "1Passwd Master Password" in the keychain." I always click "Always Allow," but that persistent dialog repeats each time I restart.

Yes, I've Googled this and found you folks at Agile have had this discussion repeatedly with 1PSW users in the past. In all those discussions you have said two things:

1) It mostly affects just Snow Leopard users (10.6.x)
2) To solve it, just untick the "Never Prompt for Master Password" option in the 1PSW preferences

Well, I am running 10.8.3, so I can say that the OS version has nothing to do with it. I can also say that I did not have this problem prior to reformatting my internal HD and then copying back the data from an external FW drive. And lastly, I really do like and want to sue that "Never Prompt for Master Password" setting in the Preferences.

In light of this, what can you suggest?

(I am a registered user of 1PSW 3.8.21 (build 32009).)

Thank you,

James

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It doesn't have anything to do with the version of OS X you are using. I'm not sure what else you were reading, but please read our support article on the matter and let me know if you still have any questions:

1PasswordAgent.app wants to use your confidential information stored in "1Passwd Master Password"

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Khad, thank you for the link, but that is basically saying what I have already read. That article says: In some cases OS X does not remember your choice if you select "Always Allow". It then adds that Agile is investigating a fix in 1PSW, but for now we should simply avoid using the "Never prompt for master password" option for security reasons.

But like I said in my opening post, I really do want to use the "Never prompt for master password" option, and since my computer is at home, I'm really not concerned about the "security" issues Agile mentions.

All said, I want to use the "Never prompt for master password" option without being prompted with the "Always Allow" dialog each time I restart. Whatever Agile can do to rectify that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Apologies for repeating what is written in the article, but the workaround for now is stated in it:

To achieve similar functionality, we suggest disabling 1Password's auto-lock settings. That way 1Password will stay unlocked all day long. You will only need to type your master password after a fresh login to your OS X account. This obviously has the added benefit of not recording your extremely important master password in the [insecure by default] OS X keychain.

If you use a laptop, enabling only the "Lock when sleeping" option means that 1Password will stay unlocked until you close the lid on your MacBook. A convenient way to stay secure on the go!

I don't think this option will be brought back for security reasons, and the workaround is barely much different — typing in your master password once after a fresh restart rather than literally never. However, I'll certainly make sure the developers know you are interested in this option.

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

However, I'll certainly make sure the developers know you are interested in this option.

Thank you very much, khad!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers!

• DanielGullo
    DanielGullo
    Community Member
    Options

If you get rid of that feature you are going to be getting rid of a LOT of users. "Here's a car, but no steering wheel." The whole point of having a password tool like this is SSO; I already have to login to my machine when I initially start it up. It's my business if I want to have everything from there on be "insecure". I have other security measures which protect me from 99% of the threats out there. You folks are worried about some fantasy, edge case that would never happen in real life.

I would like a FIX to this PROBLEM of having to deal with the 1Password dialogue every time I login. Making me type the Master Password is not an acceptable solution to me. So, if we can't get this fixed in an acceptable manner, I will use a competing product and you can give me a refund. I would much prefer to use the application as I have been for years before Snow Leopard came out. Work with us.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DanielGullo,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your feedback. I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to our developers.

You're right, your security is ultimately your business. In designing 1Password we tried to choose a path that is both secure and convenient. There's middle ground and we have users on both sides who want it very convenient and very secure. It's not always possible to cover all areas without becoming very confusing. But I will make certain that the team is aware of your opinion on the matter. :)

• DanielGullo
    DanielGullo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Worst case, leave OPTIONS in there to allow people to configure the tool as they wish. That would be a truly "Agile" approach: customer collaboration over contract negotiation. ;)

• cwick1221
    cwick1221
    Community Member
    Options

I am still getting this issue in OSX 10.9 and I don't have the options as provided in the support article. I bought originally and don't have access to re-download through the App Store so I'm hesitant to do a clean uninstall-reinstall as I don't want to not have access. Any idea?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cwick1221,

If you've purchased 1Password 3 from our website store, you can still download a Legacy version here. I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you.

This discussion has been closed.