1Password extension in Safari and Chrome stuck on "Connecting..."

Options

Hi :)

I am having trouble using the 1Password extensions for about a week now, however this only applies to one system—my iMac. It's fine on the MacBook Air. Both systems run Mac OS X 10.8.3 Build 12D78 (current release).

My Safari is 6.0.4 (current release), my Chrome is 27.0.1453.93, which is also supposed to be up to date.

I have tried reinstalling 1Password, Reset Safari, restarted the Helper from the Help-Menu, reinstalled the browser extensions and rebooted the Mac multiple times but both extensions fail to work. I have no idea how the extension communicates with 1Password itself but I have no 3rd party firewalls or anti-virus software running or installed at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
T

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2013
    Options

1Password manages the data exchange between itself and the browser extensions through WebSocket. This allows the 1Password background process to communicate with the browser extensions while still respecting the sandboxing rules enforced by modern web browsers. Although these appear as network connections, they are limited to your local machine. These connections are encrypted and authenticated, so they cannot be used to deliver information to any other processes beyond the extensions and the main 1Password application.

If the connections are blocked for any reason, the extension will not be able to connect to 1Password, and no data transfer can occur. The most common symptom of this problem is an Helper Not Connected error in the browser extension. The simplest solution is to ensure that local connections are not blocked on 127.0.0.1 by a proxy server or software firewall, but you said that wouldn't apply to your situation. We may need to get a Diagnostics Report which will more than likely allow us to pinpoint the poblem pretty quickly.

What versions of 1Password and the 1Password extension in each browser?

• tobyx
    tobyx
    Community Member
    Options

For some reason, it just started to work again. I have no idea what changed.

The only thing I remember changing was updating a few apps through the Mac App Store including an OS X software update that had something to do with Camera RAW capabilities, so that shouldn't apply here. I didn't even restart the iMac between last night and today.

Weird! However, it works. If this occurs again I'll try to pay attention to more details.
    Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

Please keep me posted if you have any other trouble, and keep in mind that I won't be able to help much without those version numbers.

Cheers!

• ericjessen
    ericjessen
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the EXACT same problem. I was having the issue where the browser extension had an error the prevented the keyboard shortcut from initiating 1Password, so I uninstalled it and now it won't connect. I enter my master password and the extension just starts counting up after "Connecting...". What do I do?? This affects Chrome and Safari but oddly not Firefox. PLEASE help!!

I'm running OS 10.8.4, 1Password 3.8.21, Safari 6.0.5, Chrome 27.0.1453.110, and Firefox 21.0.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Have already tried simply removing the 1Password extension from Chrome and Safari and then reinstalling it?

• deadbird
    deadbird
    Community Member
    edited July 2013
    Options

I'm having the very same issue. This is horribly painful, as I exclusively use 1Password through its Chrome extension. You guy should really take a day or two to address this bug once for all, it completely spoils the great app that's 1P...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2013
    Options

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble as well, @deadbird. Unfortunately, the issue is usually due to a specific configuration on a specific machine. The 1Password Helper connects to the sandboxed browser extension in order to transfer the data between the sandbox and the main 1Password application. If that connection is being blocked for some reason, then you will see that message.

You didn't say if you had already tried removing and reinstalling the Chrome extension. Have you done this? Additionally, please select Help > Troubleshooting > Restart Helper from the menu bar in 1Password.

If you're still having trouble, to help us track down the specific source of the problem on your own machine more quickly, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• deadbird
    deadbird
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your support ;)
    I tried restarting helper and reinstalling extension, nothing worked. However, I generated the report and sent you everything.

Hope this helps!

• deadbird
    deadbird
    Community Member
    Options

Back with a solution from customer support: had to upgrade 1P twice to have 3.8.21, now it works fine. Thanks a lot!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• Qweeqweg
    Qweeqweg
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am having the same problem with the Safari extension.
    But after installing 4.0 on my Mac.

I tried uninstalling and the reinstalling the extension multiple times.
    Still a red "1" ... and it won't connect.

It just counts up from 1.

I need help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Qweeqweg,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Safari extension. Can you confirm that you are using the version 4 extension and not the extension for 1Password 3? You can download the extensions for 1Password 4 here:

https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html

• mpc
    mpc
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, I was having this problem too and it turned out that I was using the extension for 1Password3 instead of 4. The issue seems to be that if you just google for "1password chrome" you end up at https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html, which only lets you download version 3. In fact you need to use the link that Megan provided above: https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html, to download version 4. It's somewhat confusing that there are two different places to download the extensions and they provide different versions by default.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mpc,

I'm sorry to hear that you also had trouble finding the appropriate extension for your version. I'll pass along that feedback to the developers to see if we can't make it a bit more clear in the future.

• greggu
    greggu
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue tried to reinstall and restart, any suggestions?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @greggu,

Please have a read through this article on Configuring Proxy Settings. Do you have any firewalls installed that could be causing trouble?

• ecualombian
    ecualombian
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same connecting issue. I downloaded the diagnostic report utility and created a report, then proceeded to reset and repair all of the options the report also offered. None of it has fixed the browser extension getting stuck after putting in the master pw. Any ideas? I saw another post from you Megan which I can't find right now, saying to create a report and send it to you copying this forum thread. How can I send you that report?

• DieterSiebenrock
    DieterSiebenrock
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, unfortunately I speak no English and have it translated everything. Hope I'm right here and there can help me anyone.
    I switched to OS X and I can Meverick since unfortunately no longer log into my 1Password. When I enter my master password only starts a counter count hochzu, but unfortunately the program does not open. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

Dieter

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ecualombian,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having difficulties connecting. Can you please confirm that you read the article Configuring Proxy Settings?

In general we do caution people against taking any action suggested in the Diagnostic Reports before someone here at AgileBits has had time to review the document. If you are still having trouble after checking the suggestions in the Proxy article, could you please send us a fresh Diagnostics Report?

MAC, 1Password 3:

If you are using OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.7 Lion: Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

If you are using OS X 10.9 Mavericks or OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Using your browser please download a small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool.

http://i.agilebits.com/ms/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs. (Note: If you use OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you may need to right click the file, choose Open, and click Open on the dialog).

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Dieter ( @DieterSiebenrock ),

Let's try reinstalling the 1Password browser extension for Chrome.

Please follow these steps:

• Open Chrome.
    • Type chrome://extensions in the address bar and hit return.
    • Click the trash can next to the 1Password extension and remove it.
    • Restart Chrome and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html.
    • Click Download next to Chrome and confirm the installation.

If that doesn't work, please follow the instructions in my previous post to create a Diagnostics Report and send it in to our team.

• rmartesq
    rmartesq
    Community Member
    Options

Hi folks, I am having a variation of the problems discussed on this thread.

Afer years of flawless performance, my Safari extension balks at sign-in. It leaves a message that it is unable to connect to the database, Other than whatever automatic updates of the extension version may have been installed, I have made no changes to my configuration. Basically I am using Mac OS 10.7.5, Safari version 6.1 (7537.71), 1 Password version 3.8.21 (build 32009). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Safari extension with no success. (I noted the discussion above about different versins of the extension. I tired to download and utilize the link for version 3 of 1 Password, but since the get info box of the extension itself does not identify the extension version, I cannot confirm that have the corret entension version installed)

I have created a diagnostic report. Shoud I now send it aong a tthis point, or have I overlooked something?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rmartesq,

Just to confirm that you do have the correct extension installed, please check in Safari Preferences > Extensions. You should see the version numbers there. If you are indeed using the version 3 extension, please follow the steps listed in this article. Let me know if that sorts things out!

If you are still having trouble after that, then we'd love to see that Diagnostic Report :)

• ericw
    ericw
    Community Member
    Options

I had the exact same problem with the extension getting stuck on "Connecting" in Firefox, but turns out it was the same issue mpc experienced--I had googled for "1password extension" which took me to the install page for 3.9.x. I uninstalled that version and used the link to the 4.x extension install page and everything works great now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ericw,

I do apologize for the troubles, but I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get things working again!

If you run into any further snags, please let us know :)

This discussion has been closed.