Please give the 1Password 4 browser some love

Options
JDW
JDW
Community Member

First off I'd like to say that I'm a very happy registered owner of 1Password for OS X (not the MAS store version), and I have been for many years. I also purchased 1Password 3 for my iPad 3, and then I upgraded to 1Password 4. What excited me most about 1Password 4 is the browser. Oh sure, I would much rather have the ability to tap and use 1Password within Safari on my iPad, just like I do on my OS X iMac; but since we can't have that (due to Apple's foolish limitations in iOS), the next best thing is 1Password 4's browser. And that is what has prompted me to post this today. I love that browser and I hate it.

I've spoken to Agile about this before, and the good folks at Agile simply told me that my request maybe granted at some future date. But a number of months have transpired now and nothing seems to be forthcoming, hence my post today is being made to prod Agile to hurry up a bit.

First, please either give us a separate search bar next to the address bar, or give me the ability to put spaces between my search terms in the address bar! This is such a simple request, it shouldn't take so long to implement. And honestly, it should have been implemented from the very beginning.

Next, browser performance is the worst among any browser I use on my iPad. Yes, yes, I know full well that Safari is the fastest browser because Apple selfishly keeps certain Java script performance enhancements to itself. But I also use the Mercury browser too, and it is much faster than the 1Password 4 browser.

What's especially infuriating to me about the 1Password 4 browser is that I use it only because I want to load a website that has a form on it and I want to be able to conveniently enter that form data. That's the only reason I use it! And yet, in almost every case when I load a webpage, the address bar changes into a partly white progress bar; but that white progress bar almost never goes to the rightmost edge! The problem that results from that is that when I tap on the Lock icon ("Log in using") at the very right of the address bar, it's totally blank. I then have to reload the page once or twice before that login info will appear. It's very frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I really love the good people at Agile, and I love your product for both OS X and for iOS. And I am fully aware that you're hard at work getting ready to release 1Password 4 for OS X. But please... Give 1Password 4's browser some love.

Comments

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

And one more major frustration...

Due to the silly memory handling Apple has imposed on iOS, it never fails that after I opened three or four apps and then switch back to 1Password that I have to enter my password again. I can live with that. But what I don't want to live with is after typing in that password the browser opens to a silly blank page! Any pages or tabs that were open before get cleared away! All other iOS browsers seem to remember their open pages, so why not the browser in 1Password? IT'S FRUSTRATING BEYOND WORDS.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all this, @JDW. I've passed your feedback along to the developers. Please let me know if there is anything else on your mind. I would love to pass it along to them as well!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Khad!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry to bother you folks at Agile again on this topic, but I just had an idea. Why don't you automatically enable the logins immediately after the user hits return in the Address bar? By hitting return in the address bar, you are telling 1Password which logins are needed. Yes, that would be before the page loads, but at least you would have access to your logins and you wouldn't be forced to wait for the full page to load (the white part of the address bar making its way all the way to the far right) like you are now.

Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll pass it along. Thanks, @JDW! :D

• Evenprimes
    Evenprimes
    Community Member
    Options

Going to add another iOS request here. Don't know if you can, but I'd love to have the reader mode in the 1password browser.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I'd love to have Reader mode in the browsers in ANY other app, but I haven't seen it. Sounds to me like Apple needs to publish the API!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds to me like Apple needs to publish the API!

That would be great!

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

Khad, I continue to be frustrated to tears by the 1PSW4 browser on my iOS6 iPad3. Today I tried to load a URL and it would only partially load. I retyped it multiple times, and then it failed to load at all. I forced the app to quite and then tried it again, but it still fails to load. And all the while I am able to switch to Mobile Safari or Mercury Browser and load the URL in all of 3 seconds. So some kind of cache seems to be at work that refuses to get cleared even though I quit and relaunch the 1PSW4 app!

I am frustrated to tears because I want true security on the web. That means I need strong passwords that are about 19 digits long and scrambled so badly I could never hope to remember them all. But I HATE switching back and forth between 1PSW and Mobile Safari, which is why I REJOICED when 1PSW4 came out with its browser that, at along last, works much like 1PSW on OSX does when it comes to accessing passwords conveniently IN-BROWSER. But alas, it's all a dream because the reality of it is that the 1PSW 4 browser is so unreliable that I find myself doing what I was forced to do with 1PSW 3 on my iPad — painfully switch back and forth between Safari and 1PSW, copying and pasting form data, and multiple times per day be forced to type in my 1PSW password because stupid iOS kicks 1PSW out of memory whenever I load too many other apps, prompting me to retype my 1PSW password when I finally switch back to it.

To get back to the title of this thread, I implore you good people there at Agile to please give your browser some love. PLEASE!

Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry you had some trouble with a specific site. What is the URL? I'd love to take a look.

Please try tapping "Clear Web Data" in Settings > 1Browser. Does that help?

If not, does a device reset change anything?

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member
    Options

It's not a unique problem with a single URL. But after restarting my iPad, the problem I reported in my last post seems to be resolved. Even so, the fact that the what progress bar (within the address bar) almost never gets all the way to the right, and as a result often prevents the 1PSW pulldown from displaying my logins) is still an issue. So whatever love you can continue giving your browser would be greatly appreciated.

Please also do not view my posts as being overtly negative. I truly love 1PSW and such is my inspiration for post here, so that when the good people at Agile make it even better, I can love it even more! :-)

Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't take it as negative at all. :D We genuinely appreciate your feedback. I just can't reproduce the specific issue you're describing, so I'm trying to get some more data so 1Password can improve. If you have the trouble again, please do let me know the URL and if "Clear Web Data" helps anything. That could really help us narrow it down to the exact issue you are experiencing.

Thanks so much!

This discussion has been closed.