Program won't start on Windows 7 After Power Loss / Re-Install

Hi,

I started using 1Password this week, bought a multi-license, and have it running on two Windows 7 PCs, plus an iPhone 4S, synced through Dropbox.

Everything was going great until a thunderstorm hit and one of my PCs got jolted with a loss of power and a reboot cycle a few times. The programs running at the time all got corrupted. I had to uninstall them, run chkdsk and reinstall them. This included: Avast Anti-Virus, Dropbox, and 1Password. I also had to restore my registry from 3 weeks ago because my desktop settings were all screwed up.

Avast and Dropbox work just fine after the re-install. I removed all of my Dropbox files and rebuilt them from a fresh sync. I have confirmed all is working normally with Dropbox and 1Password on the second PC and iPhone.

1Password will not start on the first PC.

I have uninstalled it and re-installed it 5 times. I have installed it to different directories. The Agile1Password service starts and runs but the program never loads. That is the only service that starts so if there is another one, it's not getting loaded.

I have tried running the program as an administrator as well as in XP mode.

Nothing.

I have tried logging an exception in Avast not to sandbox it on launch (in case that was happening)

This is extremely frustrating.

I have the install log which tells me the following dll files were installed in Windows/System32 and registered:

ChilkatCrypt2.dll
ChilkatZip2.dll

I don't see those DLL files anywhere, even on the PC that 1Password is working on, so I can't re-register them

I suspect there are remnants of a corrupted first install that are hanging around and not being overwritten but I don't know where to look for the files or how to remove them.

I used Revo Uninstaller but that made no difference.

Please help. I'm out of ideas as to how to get this program running on my PC again.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Digger5150
    Digger5150
    Community Member

OK, I should also mention this is 64-bit Windows 7 so I did find those two dll files in c:\Windows\SysWOW64. I registered them with regsvr32 from the command line but got no love from that either.

• Digger5150
    Digger5150
    Community Member

Sorry about adding on like this but another bit of information might be helpful. On the PC that won't allow the program to start, I do still have the Firefox plug-in operating. I'm not sure how that doesn't get uninstalled (but it did not and is working very well) and I am scared to screw with it for fear of losing it as it is the only place my passwords are accessible now on that PC.

• Digger5150
    Digger5150
    Community Member

Hmmm...well thanks for nothing I guess. This board isn't very active in the Windows section is it? I got no love directly contacting support either. I guess it's a good thing I figured it out on my own after paying the $70 for this software. I hope I don't need support in the future.

For others that may experience the same problem....

Either 1.0.9.332 is a bad build for Windows or one can't do a fresh install of a version later than the original installed (which would be dumb if true) even after that original version is cleanly UNinstalled.

I installed my original version of 1.0.9.228 and that works perfectly.

Again, either bad build, or you can't do a fresh install of a newer version than originally installed on a PC.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Digger5150, I am terribly sorry for the delayed reply. We normally reply within a day and often within hours. We've been exponentially busier lately due to the sale. I don't mean to make excuses, but I just want you to know that this is not at all typical.

If you're still having trouble, could you please send us your Diagnostics Report?

Select Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File from the menu bar in 1Password. Then attach the report to your reply to the email I just sent you as a follow up to your earlier emails.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! We'll continue to work with you via email until everything is completely resolved.

FTS-63865-635

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Digger5150 I have installed a fresh copy of Windows XP and then installed 1Password version 1.0.9.332. As far as I can tell, #332 is not a bad build and it does do a fresh install. I cannot seem to reproduce your problem.

• Digger5150
    Digger5150
    Community Member

Hi Stefan,

It was Windows 7 64-bit. If 332 is working than it must have been a quirk of installing 228, uninstalling it, and then installing 332. That's what you would really need to do on a Win 7 64-bit machine to test the scenario with autosyncing to Dropbox. It's working for me perfectly now after reinstalling 228. But I would be concerned about upgrading to another build going forward. I would always have to keep a copy of 228 just in case. Thanks.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Digger5150 if #332 works on a fresh install of Windows XP, then I suspect it works on a fresh install of Windows 7, too. Your power-loss-and-reboot-cycle is something I cannot reproduce.

• Digger5150
    Digger5150
    Community Member

"Works" is relative. Does it work after a fresh install of 228, and uninstall, and a fresh install of 332? I would not assume that working on one OS means it will work on another OS two releases later. And it is Windows 7 64-bit I'm talking about. You have a frash install of 332 on XP. That is not even close to reproducing the scenario I described with or without the power outage. Whatever. It's working for me. But please don't patronize me and claim that what you have on your test machine represents what I described.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@Digger510 I decided to give this problem another try. I started with a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit. Then I did a fresh install of #221 (unfortunately, I cannot seem to find #228). Then I uninstalled #221. Then I did a fresh install of #332. Everything seems to work. I'm not patronizing anyone. I cannot seem to reproduce your problem.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Digger5150, Stefan and myself are honestly trying to help. If there is a problem that needs to be fixed, we want to fix it. Unfortunately it can be almost possible to fix a problem if we can't reproduce it, and, as Stefan mentioned, we are not able to reproduce this. I'm not sure if there is another way to reproduce it, but a power surge in a storm is not easily reproducible. :-/

If you know of another way to reproduce it, that would be very helpful! Otherwise, we will just have to see if we get any more reports of specific trouble with build 332 (or any other builds in the future).

This discussion has been closed.