"Go and Fill" sends me to the wrong website and endlessly cycles through attempts to log in

Options
pekala
pekala
Community Member
edited June 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi,

I'm really trying to make 1Password work on my 2010 MacBook Pro, but man, I've having a lot of difficulties. On several web pages, including the one for this forum, if I go to "Go and Fill," it heads to the original sign-on page and cranks through repeated attempts endlessly. A different example, if I go to Mpix.com (a photo-printing service), it sends me to the "change password" page and does the same thing, starting over and over and over endlessly until I close the browser tab. Then if I go to the sign-in page for Mpix, 1Password doesn't fill anything, even though I have "fill and submit" selected.

I'm really getting nowhere setting this up and am very close to throwing in the towel. Can I "re-set" the page it looks for on "go and fill"? Would really appreciate some help here. Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

What versions of (1) 1Password, (2) web browser, and (3) 1Password extension?

How are you using the "Go and Fill" feature? Are you double-clicking the Login item in the main 1Password app? Or are you selecting it from the extension under the "Open Login in…" header?

Please do be aware that 1Password will not automatically fill a form when a page loads without your explicit instruction. Either one of the two methods I just mentioned or, if you visit the page normally, by selecting the Login from the extension under the "Fill and Submit Login" header. Or just press ⌘\ on your keyboard.

Let's focus on this forum first since I obviously have more experience here than with Mpix.com. We can move on to that afterwards if the same technique I describe doesn't work there too. :)

Please try saving a new Login manually like this:

1. Visit this site's login page: http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin
    2. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    5. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login at:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

Manually saving a new Login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• pekala
    pekala
    Community Member
    Options

I guess I'm limping through this little by little and making some progress. It's 1Password 3.9.6, Safari 6.0.5, and extension 3.9.17.

(1) Are you saying that "Go and Fill" (I'm using it from the "key-shaped icon" in my menu bar) won't automatically click through? It will only enter the userid and password?

(2) Is there a decent user guide somewhere for 1Password, a user guide that really tells someone how to start from scratch with this program? I"m really trying to make it work, but it's awfully tough sledding. Thanks,

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options
    1. I'm not certain that I completely understand what you mean by "click through", but I suspect that you are referring to what we call "autosubmit". Does the header at the top of the extension popup say "Fill Login" or "Fill and Submit Login"?
    2. The 1Password extension Welcome Guide is probably the best place to start, but, of course, I am always here to help if you have more questions. :)
This discussion has been closed.