MAS vs non-MAS

foobarnick
foobarnick
Community Member
edited June 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I read the FAQ about the Mac App Store (MAS) version, but it is still unclear to me which method I should use to purchase 1Password if I am a new customer.

1. Will 1Password 4 (and all subsequent updates) be released on MAS as well as the Agilebits website?
  2. What are the pros/cons of purchasing through MAS vs purchasing through Agilebits?
  3. Will future versions of 1Password be released only on MAS and not the Agilebits website? If this might happen, I might as well make my initial purchase using MAS, right?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    1. 1Password 4 for Mac will be available on the Mac App Store and our website. If you purchase 1Password 3 for Mac from either store now, you will get a FREE upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac when available. As for future versions it is likely impossible to say. When 1Password 3 debuted in 2009 the Mac App Store didn't even exist. Who knows what the future holds? :)

2. There is not much difference right now between the versions of 1Password from our website and the Mac App Store. Unless Apple changes the rules, iCloud syncing in 1Password 4 cannot exist outside the App Store, though. One thing to keep in mind is that the license terms of the Mac App Store are as permissive as our own Family License as long as you don't mind sharing an Apple ID for app installation and updates. If you have more than one user in your household, that could save you some money.

3. This sounds like the same question as (1). In any event, my answer is the same.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.