Black screen after attempting to set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password 3 for iOS

mcolman
mcolman
Community Member
edited June 2013 in iOS

Please help. I have an older version of 1Password on my iPhone 5 and I tried to sync to Dropbox this evening. It didn't work and now ALL of my passwords and data are gone. When I type in my 4 digit unlock code, the screen is all black with the exception of the time, battery strength, and wifi signal at the top of the phone. I don't have any options available. Can anyone please help? Thank you so much in advance!! Melanie

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. Please let me know the answers to these questions so I can best assist you:

1. Can you confirm for me which version of 1Password you are using based on this image? Just let me know which of the three icons matches yours.

2. Have you been syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox prior to this?

3. Do you have a backup of your 1Password data from your iOS device?
    4. Were you previously syncing via Wi-Fi with 1Password for Mac?
    5. Do you have a record of your data anywhere else at all (e.g. 1Password for Mac or Windows, another app or file, written down)?

Knowing the answers to the above will allow me to figure out the best course of action at this point.

Thanks!

• mcolman
    mcolman
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for writing back. Somehow my passwords reappeared, but I don't know how. Anyways, I have the first icon... no border, no keyhole. I would like to back up my files somehow. Will I need to upgrade my software in order to do this?? What do I need to do to sync with Dropbox?? I tried that, but that's what got me into this mess in the first place. Thanks so much!! I appreciate your help!! :)

• mcolman
    mcolman
    Community Member

Oh, answers to your other questions...
    2. No
    3. I don't think so.
    4. No
    5. No

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad things are working better now! You are using 1Password 3 for iPhone. If you have never synced 1Password 3 for iOS via Dropbox prior to April 1, 2013, then unfortunately you will not be able to set it up at this point in the old version 3 due to some changes that Dropbox made on their end.

The first thing I would recommend before you do anything else is to back up your data by following the instructions in the link I shared above in question 3:

How To: Back up 1Password 3 for iPhone

Then, if you want to sync with 1Password for Mac (or just have your data synced to Dropbox which I would recommend) your best bet is to upgrade to 1Password 4 for iOS. You are not obligated to do so, but you will get tons of new features along with the ability to easily sync to Dropbox and iCloud. The latter is new in version 4. :)

Please let me know how it goes or if I can be of further assistance.

• MFD
    MFD
    Community Member

Hi There,
    I am having the same problem as Melanie. I tried to install dropbox and now screen is totally black. I have the version nb 1, the only thing the background is not blue silver grey, on my iPhone S4.
    Have you been syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox prior to this? Yes
    Do you have a backup of your 1Password data from your iOS device? I guess, at list I have it on my Mac
    Were you previously syncing via Wi-Fi with 1Password for Mac? Yes, as it was not working I tried to install dropbox to proceed
    Do you have a record of your data anywhere else at all (e.g. 1Password for Mac or Windows, another app or file, written down)? Yes

What should I do, to get my data back! Thank you. Marie

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MFD,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty getting your data synced up! As Khad mentioned above, Dropbox has made some changes to their API recently. Unfortunately, the basic gist of things is this: Dropbox is no longer providing the support to the older API requirements of our now retired 1Password Pro (which is icon #1 and #2 on the image above.)

Dropbox is the conduit which keeps your 1Password data in sync. For 1Password and Dropbox to communicate behind the scenes, it uses what's called an API (application programming interface).  As you doubtless know, technology changes at a brisk pace; perhaps faster than some of us would like. Companies like Dropbox are no different.  Sometimes it seems like "out with old, in with the latest greatest."  And indeed, we've been notified by Dropbox that as of September 1, 2013 the API for 1Password iOS (3.7.2) -- the version that you're currently using -- is completely shut down.  This is why you are no longer able to communicate and keep up-to-date on any changes or additions you might make.

Our new version is 1Password 4 for iOS and has been for sale in the iTunes store since December, as a separate purchase from version 3 (the "old" and still supported version).  We did this because it's basically an entirely new application, built bigger, better, faster, and stronger.  It's different enough to be all new, which is why it's a separate purchase.  It is also a universal app now, meaning you only require one purchase for all your iDevices associated with your Apple ID, using iOS 6 or greater.  

If you would like to continue using 1Password 3 for iOS, I'd be happy to help get Wi-Fi sync sorted out for you, just let me know a bit more about how it wasn't working for you!

Please let me know how I can help :)

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

I'm in a similar boat. None of my password data was backed up. I am using picture #2 from above, just tried to set up Dropbox and now when I login to 1password the screen is black. I am assuming at this point I have probably lost my data and will need to download the new program and set it up from there. I use the program on my iPad and iPhone. Is there any chance the passwords will reappear? How long should I wait before I download the new version? Will it impact the old version? Help....

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

I just did a hard reset on my phone and my passwords are back. So now is there a way to transfer them to the new version or back them up somehow.

• apherman
    apherman
    Community Member

Got it all figured out... Data is syncing through iCloud right now. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @apherman,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you here, but I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get things all sorted out! If you do run into any further snags, please let me know - I'd be happy to help :)

This discussion has been closed.