What does "Unlock on Secure Desktop" do?

wefski
wefski
Community Member
edited July 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am new to 1PW and I am using the current Windows version.

What is the difference on the log in screen between "Unlock" and "Unlock on Secure Desktop"

Thanks
wefski

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Good question, @wefski. :)

The "Unlock on Secure Desktop" feature helps protect against key loggers. The "enter master password" dialog appears on another desktop (that we temporarily create ourselves), and Windows messages do not travel across desktops. Key loggers are thus precluded from spying on the (keyboard) messages.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member

What should I do at home in my den, does it make any difference which one I use?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The physical location of your machine doesn't really make a difference. What "Unlock on Secure Desktop" is protecting against is a keylogger that could theoretically be installed on any machine. If you practice safe computing habits such as only downloading software from reputable vendors and never opening unexpected attachments in email odds are you are safe, but it doesn't hurt to have the extra protection. Only you can decide your level of paranoia. LOL The choice is yours. :)

• wefski
    wefski
    Community Member

Thanks for your help, makes sense to me now. I also improved my PW.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! I'm glad I was able to help.

Please let me know if you ever have any other questions or concerns.

Happy Fourth of July!

This discussion has been closed.