Broken Dropbox, manually resyncing 2 macs

Options

Hello,

I've had two macs (Retina and an Air) with passwords being managed with 1Password. The passwords were being synchronized via Dropbox, which is how I've managed them from Day One.

Unfortunately, Dropbox has stopped working. In my attempts to restore it, I want to disconnect all machines from Dropbox but the main one, which is my Retina.

While Dropbox has been broken, the two 1Passwords "collections" have gotten out of sync, i.e. some updates on the Air are not on the Retina.

Is there a way to synchronize the 1Password data files on these two machines outside of Dropbox? Local network? USB stick?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nashman,

I'm sorry that you are having some trouble. I'd like to get to the bottom of the problem before you attempt to merge all the data. I'm wondering if your Dropbox folder is not located in the default location on one or more of your Macs. This will preclude 1Password from syncing via Dropbox.

1Password 3.9 adheres to Apple's sandboxing guidelines which require explicit permission to access files and folders on your disk. 1Password 3.9 has permission to access this exact location (where the tilde represents your Home folder):

~/Dropbox

If your Dropbox folder is not located there, 1Password simply cannot access it. Could that be the issue (or part of it) on one or more of your Macs? An easy way to tell is if the "Use Dropbox" button is disabled in 1Password's preferences on the General pane. More information can be found in our support article for this issue:

Dropbox folder not located in the default location in the Home folder

Once you get that sorted out (if indeed it needs sorting), then you can export all the data from one data file (File > Export All > 1Password Interchange Format) and import it into the "main" data file you wish to use to aggregate things.

I hope that doesn't confuse things at all. I would be happy to know that it was actually useful information to you. I encourage you to ask as many questions as necessary and not proceed until we know exactly what the issue is. I'd hate for anything to get worse.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.