Extension asking to save passwords that are already saved

2»

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@mbooth, it sounds like you might be much happier disabling autosave. Many of us on the team keep autosave disabled. It's great for folks who need some more hand-holding, but advanced users like yourself often prefer to save Logins manually using the + button on an as needed basis.

1. Visit a site's login page.
    2. Enter your credentials, but DO NOT submit the form.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    4. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    5. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Then you'll never be "nagged" by 1Password. 1Password will simply and quietly await your order. :)

• bodean
    bodean
    Community Member

So what do I need to do using Google Chrome and Windows PC, with 1Password? Seems every site I go to (Even ones that 1password already saved) keeps popping up enter master password, then save site to 1password. I get no autofill (unless google fills it in for me) Do I have to disable chrome autofill or something to let 1password handle this, and not popup everytime I visit a site?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Do I have to disable chrome autofill or something to let 1password handle this, and not popup everytime I visit a site?

That is a good idea. Yes. Or you can follow one of the other options in my first reply in this thread.

• bodean
    bodean
    Community Member

Option 2: You say to disable autosave. Where is this done? In windows app, under preferences/logins I see Submit Logins automatically, Ask to save new logins in browser, Automatically download icons for new logins.

Option 3, your key to fill in the login is a mac key. In windows, where is this changed/or what is the default key? Ctrl + \

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@bodean, please note that you are posting in the Mac Browser Extension category. There is a thread about this in the Windows category. That said…

Option 2: You say to disable autosave. Where is this done? In windows app, under preferences/logins I see Submit Logins automatically, Ask to save new logins in browser, Automatically download icons for new logins.

Option 3, your key to fill in the login is a mac key. In windows, where is this changed/or what is the default key? Ctrl + \

CTRL+\ is the default keyboard shortcut in Windows. You can see this (and change it if you like) on the Logins tab in 1Password for Windows' preferences.

• oemera
    oemera
    Community Member

Hi,

I have a annoying issue with 1Password and would kindly ask if there is a way disable it or if you would consider to fix it in a future version:

When I login in a couple of sites 1Password asks me every time to save my password even if I already saved the password with 1Password. I don't why this happens. I use the same site and same password (as saved in 1Password) but 1Password keeps trying to save my password. It is really annoying to dismiss 1Password bar after every login.

I use chrome and 1Password version 3.8.21.
    You can reproduce this 'bug' if you go to the Apple Developer page and 1) login & save password with 1Password 2) logout and login again.

I hope you there is a fix for it because it is so annoying when you just want to do something and this 1Password bar slides into your screen!

Thanks
    Oemer

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oemera,

I merged your post with this existing thread. Please read my post #2 above and let me know if you still have any other questions. :)

Thanks!

• daretorant
    daretorant
    Community Member

I'm a long-time 1Password user, and I generally understand the advice that power users such as myself should turn off the auto-save feature. Honestly though, it saddens me that it's the solution.

Regardless of the implementation details, in a previous iteration of this app, I had auto-save on and it worked magically. This was part of what I loved about 1Password. It would only fill when I told it to fill, and it would only ask about new logins when a login was actually new. How did it know? Oh wow, it knew this page was different than the other page because they share a domain -- great! What a wonderful experience.

Now, I find the damn thing asking me to save again, and again, and again, and again (and again). If its a new site, it'll ask. If it's an old site, it'll ask. A variant? It'll ask.

I've read through the thread and now understand that apparently if you haven't logged into it yet, it has no way of knowing. If that's true, how did it know before? Why the degradation? I am genuinely curious. Also, it seems less intelligent once I've logged in about matching logins that have different URLs but same domains.

I love your app, but boy is it driving me insane lately.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

@daretorant wrote:

I had auto-save on and it worked magically. This was part of what I loved about 1Password.

We are working on bringing the magic back.

What you've seen is a consequence of us trying to reduce the number of secrets that are stored by the 1Password JavaScript Extension and improve the security of the communication between the JavaScript Extension (JSE3) and the Helper/Agent. The idea was to make it true that "locked means locked". We don't want the JSE to have the ability to decrypt stored passwords when 1Password is locked.

(As an aside, JSE4 in 1Password 4 takes a radically different approach, where we have been able to remove almost all cryptography from the extension and have that performed in 1Password Mini instead.)

Anyway, we do have ideas about how to "bring the magic back" without the undesirable security implications of the earlier versions. That is, we may be able to have the ability for the extension to detect whether a particular username and password for a site has already been saved even without the ability to decrypt all of 1Password's stored passwords.

I can't promise anything. But we certainly know that the current behavior with 1Password JSE3 is a headache for people. We want 1Password to make it easy for people to behave securely. We don't want it to be a pain in the backside.

For the time being, the simple answer for the time being is to give 1Password a longer auto-lock time. So "locked means locked" and auto-save cannot (yet) know whether a particular password is stored without unlocking.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I do think that if you adjust your auto-lock settings with the understanding that locking means that the JSE can't see whether a password has been saved, you should be able to find an approach that works well for you.

Cheers,

-j

–-
    Jeffrey Goldberg
    Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts @ AgileBits
    http://agilebits.com

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

@jpgoldberg: Thank you for making this clear to us. It's now much easier to understand ... and forgive. ;) Still looking forward to get the magic back, of course. :)

• jfnoubel
    jfnoubel
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Thanks @jpgoldberg. I read the whole thread and I belong to the unhappy frustrated long time users who expect the magic back. 1password became the main annoying player in the browsing experience, whereas it should remain a silent friend. Looking forward to the magic back!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jfnoubel,

Thanks for adding your thoughts here! We'll see what we can do about getting your silent friend back :)

This discussion has been closed.