How To: Sync 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS

band
band
Community Member
edited July 2013 in iOS

OK. As far as I can tell from reading a number of posts I have the following problem.

On my desktop I use 1P 3.8.21.
On my iPad I updated to 1P4 a while ago. And now I cannot sync my master list (on my desktop) with my iPad. It syncs to the cloud, but I am sure I do not have that option on my desktop.

So it appears that the recommended agilebits solution is for me to upgrade to 1P4 on my desktop using the App Store.

Am I correct? Please, do let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 for Mac is not available yet, but Dropbox syncing works across all supported platforms and versions. It is perfect for your situation. :)

How To: Set up Dropbox syncing in 1Password

• band
    band
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. That seems to work. (Yay!) Although I need to understand the security of the Dropbox intermediary.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

From the moment we designed the Agile Keychain data format we ensured that it was able to withstand an attack should your data fall into the wrong hands, either as a result of a Dropbox breach or if someone physically stole your computer. As such, we use AES encryption with PBKDF2 key strengthening to protect your sensitive 1Password data as well as many other mechanisms to stop an attacker from ever accessing your information and we detail this here:

Security of storing 1Password data in the cloud

So, as long as you use a secure master password that you don't use elsewhere, your 1Password data is incredibly safe even when stored on a service like Dropbox. If you're not sure about the strength of your master password, please do take a look at our recent blog post on this:

Toward Better Master Passwords

I can't think of many better ways to show just how strongly 1Password protects your data than by pitting it against the pre-eminent password cracking tool John the Ripper. We did exactly that:

1Password is Ready for John the Ripper

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

This discussion has been closed.