new install appeared to sync with Dropbox automatically but didn't

I was just invited to the beta so I eagerly installed 1Password 4. It automatically recognized that I was sync'ing with dropbox on 1Password 3 (not running, but installed).

After starting up I had nothing in my database. It appears as if I was starting from scratch. However, when I looked at the Preferences, it showed me that I was sync'ing with dropbox and the 1Password.agilekeychain.

To figure out what might be going on, I stopped syncing and I started the dropbox sync'ing again and selected my 1Password.agilekeychain in my dropbox folder. This time it imported everything correctly and appears to be working fine.

I wonder if this is because I have some old remnants of old 1Password installs in my Dropbox folder. I had a real problem with dropbox syncing in the past. I have these files in my dropbox folder that I have never felt sure which ones were being used so I never deleted them:

Dropbox:
1Password (this is a folder)
1Password 2011-12-10 150949.agilekeychain_zip
1Passsword.agilekeychain
backup pass / 1Password.agilekeychain

Anyway, I am up and running, but I figured I would point out that the installation didn't go smoothly.

Greg

Comments

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

HI Greg,

Thanks for writing about this experience. This is the result of having at least three different data files in your Dropbox folder, which shouldn't happen in the first place and would've affected 1Password 3 as well, we've seen this before.

Here's how to fix this if the current data in your 1Password app is the right one and has all the recent changes you made:

1. First, confirm what data file 1Password is using. To do this, open 1Password 4, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync. Look at the last part, it should tell you it is using Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain

2. If that is accurate, create an empty folder on the desktop called 1Password Archive, and then go to your Dropbox folder. Move all 1Password fils in Dropbox folder that is not related to Dropbox > 1Password.agilekeychain to your 1Password Archive folder.

Once you do that, you should be all set to go. Make sure you test the sync by making some changes in 1Password 4, and see if it shows up on the rest of your computers or mobile devices.

I hope that helps!

• Thanks Mike

I have cleaned it all up and verified that it still syncs with my 1PW on my iPhone.

Greg

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Hi Greg,

You're welcome, glad it helped.

This discussion has been closed.