Great App thread part 3 I think

thightower
thightower
Community Member
Fever app
Ok folks

I am considering using fever as my rss reader, I currently use NNW thru google reader because of the 1P tie in

This is mainly just an experiment to try no big real reason to change. But I might add Fever looks cool along with ashes for the ipad

True there is a wealth of knowledge on the net, but I was just curious about folks who may have used it especially from within our community. Any takers
Also ease of use and or set up help or suggestions would be welcome. I have found a few link about how to set it up and a detailed instruction via some provider. Looks interesting.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the input toromei,

I got about 7/8 done with the fever project and shelved the idea for later review (had everything done like site set up etc I stopped short of spending the $ for the license). tongue.gif I am still using NetNewsWire with syncing thru reader. I will have to look at the apps you mentioned.

Edit: DailyDeeds looks interesting I always love a app with a cool looking UI or just really different.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Stupid, know-nothing, know-it-all brother.

Love you, too, bro! :-)

I still stand by my Reeder recommendation. I use it every day on both my iPhone and iPad. Worth every penny. I do only subscribe to a handful of RSS feeds, though. YMMV.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    stu wrote:

Bullying the users already Khad?! Now it all comes out :-) Although, I will stand with you on the Reeder vote, it's an amazing app, love the Instapaper support.

Bullying my brother? Probably. I'll try to keep it off the forums, though. :-)

I'm always calling and e-mailing him about new apps. We've swapped some good ones over the years, though.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Just picked up reeder while it was on sale for .99

Droplr looks interesting as well, just watched its vid
  • @ Brenty (toromei) Thanks for mentioning the DailyDeeds app :) I have it now and yes, indeed, it IS satisfying to check off those pesky daily things.

But mainly it was worth it to bump this thread to mention TeuxDeux: I Love this app! It's very beautifully designed and has become my main
    schedule or calendar. And I use it in connection with Simplenote, as each has something the other doesn't have.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2010
    Funny enough, I actually recommended DailyDeeds to brenty but I don't think I actually have it myself! :-D

I bought TeuxDeux but could not sign up for an account on the iPhone for some reason. I actually just tried right this moment and got a 502 Bad Gateway error on their site. I keep wanting to try it but seem to be thwarted at every turn. :-(

I am dying for Cultured Code to get their act together with cloud sync for Things. Until then I have been mostly using Google Tasks saved to my home screen since it is already cloud based.

Although, for shopping lists, I am absolutely in love with ShopShop. For my purposes it can't be beat. Just type in items and it puts them on a list. You tap to cross off and shake to clear. Your most recently added items are in a list with autocomplete. There is no built-in list of items. That kind of sealed the deal for me. Being vegan, I have no use for most of the items in the majority of grocery apps' built-in lists, and the complexity overwhelms. ShopShop: type, tap, shake, repeat. And it's free! I keep trying other, "prettier" apps, but ShopShop is just dead simple, and practically perfect for what I want. Holy crap! I just checked and it is a universal app now! I'll have to see what it looks like on the iPad!

My most used iPhone apps (besides 1Password Pro, obviously):

I don't fill up the tank often — I ride a motorcycle, hence the weather app being so important! — but tracking fuel economy and maintenance has become second nature with Gas Cubby. So while it is not used often, I always use it when I fill up or get maintenance.

VegOut is my last suggestion. Indispensable if you are vegan/vegetarian and traveling. It's even helpful when you're not traveling if your residence is in a large city like L.A. :-D
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for but Mint.com has an iPhone app. I usually don't even use the app, though, since everything is automatically populated in the web app.

FWIW. :-)

And, yes, I was the person who told you about DailyDeeds. I had read about it on Smoking Apples. :-P

I remember telling you about it because I didn't and still don't use it, but it sounded exactly like what you were looking for at the time. I'll bicker more with you about it on the phone or via e-mail sometime.
  • khad wrote:

I bought TeuxDeux but could not sign up for an account on the iPhone for some reason. I actually just tried right this moment and got a 502 Bad Gateway error on their site. I keep wanting to try it but seem to be thwarted at every turn. :-(

Hi Khad,
    Did you ever get the TeuxDeux thing sorted out? When I was making my account on their web app, there was some funny thing happening for me too, but it finally worked. Actually, it may have had something "teux deux" with 1Password (I think) because although I can use 1P to log on, I have to only use the Command\ : clicking on the -> arrow from within 1Password takes me to the wrong screen on their site. :unsure:

It's not a big deal because I normally use the key commands for all my logging in anyway. Sometime I'll have to make a proper thread about it over in the other forum here....sometime when I have Extra time to figure out how to explain what happens. lol.

I'll have to go look at ShopShop, VegOut and Gas Cubby.....they sound interesting. I'm just using my own made up lists in SimpleNote right now. Which is really OK, but isn't it fun to see that next new thing?!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Macrina,

I did get TeuxDeux sorted out. In fact, I am quite familiar with the interaction between their login form and 1Password after replying to a thread in the Chrome forum yesterday. :-) I suggest re-saving your login manually as described in that other thread. They have changed their code since I first saved mine, but it seems to be working great now. I can even use it with Go & Fill from within 1Password. Let me know how it goes.

That being said, I find web interfaces to be too slow for everyday use, and TeuxDeux is no different. I only use Google Tasks because Things does not yet have cloud syncing. TeuxDeux seemed even slower for my tastes. In fact, I have recently migrated to just using Things on my iPhone because, seriously, when do I not have it with me? I am even inputting tasks on it when I am sitting at my Mac. :-D

If it wasn't obvious yet, I would really love a task manager with a syncing similar to 1Password (and Address Book and iCal with MobileMe). Having the data stored locally (in both iOS and Mac apps) is very nice for quick access with or without an Internet connection. Being able to access my data on a website (1PasswordAnywhere via Dropbox in our case) is not often useful but indispensable when you need it most.

I think that is what makes Simplenote (with Notational Velocity on the Mac) so apealling to people. It is a native app for iOS and Mac, but you have a "backup" on the web if you ever need it. This is the model which all software should use. Dropbox brings this very close to a reality for most desktop apps if you save everything in your Dropbox folder.

I would love to hear what you think of those other iOS apps if and when you try them.
  • Macrina
    edited November 2010
    Hi Khad,
    I haven't had much time for coming over here lately, but just now I did Exactly what you recommended on resaving the login manually; and still nothing happens when I try
    logging in from within 1Password. I even went through the steps 2 times,but to no avail.

It's not a big thing, but I just have to remember that TeuxDeleux, out of all my logins, will not work from within 1Password; at least it doesn't work when I click on the -> after clicking on TeuxDeux in the list. This is the one which will open a new Safari page and log me in with the one click. That's nice for getting all my stuff opened up when I wake up the iMac.

But....I will say with TeuxDeux it's worth it teux deux the extra clicking on the bookmark bar and then using Command\.

As for the app itself; even though it's a bit slow at times (I think they are outgrowing their server or something....) to me, it's worth doing whatever I need to do to get there! :D It's helped me get things done which I'd been putting off.

So this and Simplenote are my main helps right now. I've just gotten Dropbox and am trying to learn how to best use it. Trouble is, I don't have much time right now for this stuff.

Later on when I've gotten the iPhone or the latest iPod Touch edition, I plan to get 1Password Pro. Then I'll probably really need your help!! ;)

khad wrote:

Hey Macrina,

I did get TeuxDeux sorted out. In fact, I am quite familiar with the interaction between their login form and 1Password after replying to a thread in the Chrome forum yesterday. :-) I suggest re-saving your login manually as described in that other thread. They have changed their code since I first saved mine, but it seems to be working great now. I can even use it with Go & Fill from within 1Password. Let me know how it goes.

That being said, I find web interfaces to be too slow for everyday use, and TeuxDeux is no different. I only use Google Tasks because Things does not yet have cloud syncing. TeuxDeux seemed even slower for my tastes. In fact, I have recently migrated to just using Things on my iPhone because, seriously, when do I not have it with me? I am even inputting tasks on it when I am sitting at my Mac. :-D

If it wasn't obvious yet, I would really love a task manager with a syncing similar to 1Password (and Address Book and iCal with MobileMe). Having the data stored locally (in both iOS and Mac apps) is very nice for quick access with or without an Internet connection. Being able to access my data on a website (1PasswordAnywhere via Dropbox in our case) is not often useful but indispensable when you need it most.

I think that is what makes Simplenote (with Notational Velocity on the Mac) so apealling to people. It is a native app for iOS and Mac, but you have a "backup" on the web if you ever need it. This is the model which all software should use. Dropbox brings this very close to a reality for most desktop apps if you save everything in your Dropbox folder.

I would love to hear what you think of those other iOS apps if and when you try them.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2010
    I was using simple note, but I changed to Notesy, and use it with Notational Velocity

I also love the app iFiles, I can use to copy and move files within DB.

About a year ago I started experimenting with things like "tweet my mac" which has to many issues in my opinion, and also emailing requests to my mini.

But I have hit the nail on the head now. Part of this was from an article I cant remember where (Ill update the thread when I locate the article), and the other portion was of my own research but I digress.....

Edit : Article http://web.appstorm.net/roundups/data-management-roundups/the-ultimate-dropbox-toolkit-guide/

I have recently sent up a special folder in DB for remote commands.
    I have Hazel watch the folder and when a special file is placed in the folder. Hazel runs a embedded script that runs Black Hole as a conduit where it will force quit all apps after a period of time (making sure they have 60 seconds to close before being forced), and then the Hazel rule restarts the mini. and places the special file back into its holding place inside my dropbox. Then next time I want to remote restart I just use iFiles to move the file to the special folder and Hazel does the rest.

The mini sends me notification via boxcar of it status ie "im alive" (just restarted), and "I am taking a break" (completely restarted)

So thats Hazel, iFiles, Dropbox, some Apple Script, and Boxcar (Nice chain of apps working together)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Macrina,

Here is my TeuxDeux login template if you are still having trouble.

Just import it into 1Password and enter your own username and password. :-)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Notesy is cool,

I love the icon its easy to find for me anyway.

Now on a developmental point. I had some interaction with David the creator. I had a few configuration issues. He was quick to explain the reason for the issue and even went so far as to suggest a competitors app which didn't have the limitation. This limitation has since been fixed and I am very happy with the app.

Basically I was asking about having separate locations for data within dropbox to support multiple users. ie the wife and myself so she had her notes and I had mine. Needless to say problem solved an update or so ago.

ps I agree I dont like the new instapaper icon

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2010
    Sorry instapaper

My bad its not you after all. I was thinking about the new simple note icon. It grows on me more and more. So a month from now I want even remember it being an issue for me :lol:
This discussion has been closed.