Feature Request: Multiple User or Shared folders

Hey guys, I apologize is this is isn't where feature requests go but I couldn't find that dedicated section.

For work we recently moved away from 1Password to LastPass because of one feature. Enterprise edition allows you to have shared folders, so when I log into a site I can save that log-in to a Company-Admin folder, so my boss or another dev can have access without having to ask me for the password. It'd be really useful to be able to have team ( or family ) passwords that are only accessible to people with permitted access. If a team member leaves we could remove them from that shared folder.

I'm making this request because the lastpass interface is frustrating and it doesn't look like they plan to clean it up. I'd much rather use 1Password. I love the 1Password interface and how clean it looks on OSX, iOS, and PC.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drrobotnik,

This is a great place to post feature requests. :)

The concept of sharing and multiple data files within 1Password has been suggested a number of times and it's certainly a very interesting and useful idea! We are considering this for the future, but it is quite a substantial change to how 1Password works right now which means a lot of time and testing is required to add this feature. Since 1Password is an encryption app and not a hosted service, it isn't as simple as merely "granting access" to another user on our end. We simply don't have access to your data in that way.

So with that said, I really can't make any promises on a time frame for when we may be able to bring this to 1Password, but that doesn't mean we won't. We've always believed in trying to be as honest and realistic with our users as possible rather than making lots of empty promises.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more positive answer right now, but thank you so much for letting us know that you would find this useful. We do take the number of users who request a feature into consideration when we decide on our feature lists.

In the meantime, importing and exporting 1Password Interchange Files is a great way to transfer information between different installations of 1Password (File > Export). It is not automated, but for my purposes it works well since I am not constantly changing the passwords I share with others. This way each user can have private 1Password data and import only the items they need from the rest of the team.

(Please be aware that the 1PIF information is not encrypted and should be handled with care while in transit and securely deleted once the information is safely imported into an encrypted 1Password data file.)

Additionally, we have improved sharing in version 4 which is already available on iOS and will be available on Mac soon.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• drrobotnik
    drrobotnik
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate the details, bummed It won't be implemented tomorrow :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It's my pleasure to help. I hope that 1Password will better fit your needs in the future. :)

• drrobotnik
    drrobotnik
    Community Member

Just following up on this inquiry with the new 1Password 4 launch. It looks like the feature I was requesting was in development known as Shared Vaults :D.

Now can you access these shared vaults on the iOS version of 1Password?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drrobotnik,

Thanks for following up with us!

Looks like you're constantly one step ahead of us here :) Multiple vaults is not quite ready yet for iOS, but we do hope to integrate this feature soon.

• drrobotnik
    drrobotnik
    Community Member

Sorry, I just really like the 1password interface :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drrobotnik,

Got to admit, I like the interface too :) I'll be sure those developers are working hard on getting Vaults on all other platforms.

• drrobotnik
    drrobotnik
    Community Member

Woohoo! Shared vaults on the iOS app and silky smooth import process. I've completely converted.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @drrobotnik‌

You completely made my day. Thanks for the kind words!! I'm so glad multiple vaults on iOS worked well for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.