Adding MY Tags almost impossible

I tried to add a tag “ComputerStores“ and the auto-generated suggestions would not let me. I finally got Computer Stores, with a space, and later I had two tags in the same file, and I only wanted one. So when I tried to edit, I could only delete them all or none. So I chose all, and then dragged it into the Computer Store (that I'd created in another file) sidebar tag. I would like to be able to eliminate the autosuggestions.

Adding and deleting tags is frustrating...

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2010
    DigitalOak wrote:

I tried to add a tag “ComputerStores“ and the auto-generated suggestions would not let me. I finally got Computer Stores, with a space, and later I had two tags in the same file, and I only wanted one. So when I tried to edit, I could only delete them all or none. So I chose all, and then dragged it into the Computer Store (that I'd created in another file) sidebar tag. I would like to be able to eliminate the autosuggestions.

Adding and deleting tags is frustrating...

Hi DigitalOak,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the tags. You should be able to type ComputerStores and then press return. Only the tags you already have should autocomplete, so ensure you do not already have tags "computer" and "stores" if you wish them to not pop up. If you require those tags for other purposes, I am afraid there is no way to have them not autocomplete.

Let me know if you still have trouble.
  • thomasina
    edited October 2010
    I'm having a related problem with adding tags (within the main app).

If I try to add «photography», for example, the minute I type "ph…" I get Ph.D. and then a whole bunch of autocomplete options, all of which begin with a capped P. I'm only able to use the tag "Photography" and don't seem to be able to bypass the autocomplete list at all.

The only workaround I can find is to type "pphotography" and then backspace and delete the first "p". Deleting the first letter of a tag also acts in the same way as hitting Return, entering the correct tag in the list. Unfortunately, even when I do this, the lower case "photography" isn't added to the autocomplete list, which means I would have to use the workaround *every* time I want to add this tag.

As a new user, I'm very frustrated by the 1Password autocomplete list. It's full of all sorts of words – effectively a dictionary list, by the look of it, but randomly capitalised – 99% of which I have never used as tags in any app and never would use. Yet from the advice above, it seems I should expect to see only tags I've already used in the autocomplete list.

How can I clear out the tag autocomplete list so that only the new tags that I'm creating end up listed in it?
  • thomasina
    edited October 2010
    thomasina wrote:

I'm having a related problem with adding tags (within the main app). … How can I clear out the tag autocomplete list so that only the new tags that I'm creating end up listed in it?

Ok, I can see from this thread, that the "feature" I'm observing is peculiar to Leopard. So I'll second the sentiments elsewhere: hope this bug is fixed soon, as it's really unhelpful. Sure, I'll upgrade to Snow Leopard soon enough, but until I do, it would be nice if 1Password responded in the advertised way in 10.5 as well as 10.6.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    thomasina wrote:

Ok, I can see from this thread, that the "feature" I'm observing is peculiar to Leopard. So I'll second the sentiments elsewhere: hope this bug is fixed soon, as it's really unhelpful. Sure, I'll upgrade to Snow Leopard soon enough, but until I do, it would be nice if 1Password responded in the advertised way in 10.5 as well as 10.6.

We have had several threads on this subject if memory serves me correctly, Its something to do with Leopard, and how it functions, sadly if I am remembering correctly there is nothing we can do to correct this, its all on Apple.

Some of the old threads are gone now that we changed to a new forum software, so unfortunately I cant even dig them up.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    From Marty's response in another thread back in June:

The word from the developers is that this is something that can not be changed without writing our own set of routines and that takes us away from writing some other part of 1Password. The existing routines we're using simply behave differently under Leopard compared to Snow Leopard and that's unfortunate.

Something that many customers don't know is that you can tag items not only by typing into the Tag field of a single item but you can also select items in the listing area of the window and then drag-n-drop a tag onto them. That might make your effort a little easier both with this issue as well as even with Snow Leopard's improvements.

It has to do with the specific API calls we make: in Leopard the routines provide this "helpful" list of dictionary values (which we don't really expect) and in Snow Leopard the same routines don't (hurray!).

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer.
This discussion has been closed.