How To: Disable Chrome's extension syncing

Options
petrchutny
petrchutny
Community Member
edited September 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Dear Agilebits,

I've noticed something which is quite annoying - everytime I log into chrome away from my computer, my 1password extensions loads up, but since there is no dropbox on library pc's, I can't really use it. So in the end it keeps asking me for saving passwords everywhere which is very annoying. If i disable it, it will get disabled in my domestic chrome browser on my mac, which I obviously don't want :(

Thank you for any reply

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm kind of confused, @petrchutny. Are you using a computer of your own at the library or one of the library's computers? Mac? Windows? Are you installing the 1Password extension on the library computer?

If it's just a matter of extension syncing, you can disable that in Chrome's preferences. Enter this in Chrome's omnibox:

chrome://settings/search#sync

Then click "Advanced sync settings…", change "Sync Everything" to "Choose what to sync" (if necessary), and UNCHECK "Extensions".

• petrchutny
    petrchutny
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, thank you for amazingly fast reply. I am using mac, and chrome in library is on windows. I don't want to stop syncing all extensions, just 1password. And I am afraid that this is not possible.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, you would need to add your vote to a (presumably already existing) feature request for selective syncing of extensions. In the meantime can you just disable autosave?

• petrchutny
    petrchutny
    Community Member
    Options

Well, yeah I can.. :D Thank you. By the way, I guess it isn't anyhow possible to connect the extension in chrome with the datafile if I would put it somewhere?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The sandboxed browser extension cannot communicate outside of its sandbox. That is what the 1Password Helper (part of the main 1Password application) does: it uses WebSocket to communicate securely with the extension. The extensions cannot properly function without the main application (in this case 1Password for Windows) installed. But you could theoretically install it there and manually put a copy of your data file on the machine if Dropbox cannot be installed.

• petrchutny
    petrchutny
    Community Member
    Options

Well, since it's a library pc, I can't install 1password either, and there is no portable version of it. But for the library work, logging into dropbox and using it there is sufficent enough anyway.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I thought that might be the case. That's why I said "theoretically". Sorry to hear they are locked down like that. I'm glad 1PasswordAnywhere works for you despite that. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• petrchutny
    petrchutny
    Community Member
    Options

I am afraid that 1password isn't syncing the "ask to save new logins" settings. It is still asking about every login I put in, pretty annoying, so the problem is still unsolved :(

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The only solution I can think of is the one I first proposed: disable extension syncing in Chrome. I'm sorry if that is not the answer you were hoping for, but please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I will do my best to assist you.

• petrchutny
    petrchutny
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately this doesn't make sense to me since I want to use other extensions... but thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2013
    Options

You can still use other extensions. They just won't sync. Just install them manually.

Actually, now that I think about it, this should be resolved in 1P4. If you're willing to test the beta, sign up and give it a try.

This discussion has been closed.