Wi-Fi sync

Options
Hessijames
Hessijames
Community Member

Hi!

How exactly do I use the "new" Wi-Fi-Sync in 1Password 4? The button shown in the Mac app does not show in the sync settings of my iPhone or iPad.

Hessi

Comments

• Hi @Hessi,

We're working on the 1Password 4.3 update for the iOS, that'll include the Wi-Fi sync support. It'll be released soon but I don't have a specific timeframe yet.

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

As I posted in a related topic, it wold have been nice if Agilebits had highlighted the fact that it is not working at this time, and usb sync no longer works with 1Password 4 for OS X. This not even mentioned in your "Known Issues in 1Password 4 for Mac" topic. In the meantime I guess we are forced to use either the dropbox or icloud methods if we want to synch until you get around to updating the iphone//ipad versions.

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@MikeT: Thank you for the heads-up. But as Neocybersailor already mentioned, skipping this detail in the release notes and - in addition - announcing that "Wi-Fi sync is back" is at least negligent. As a result, users in several iOS related forums are confused about the feature not showing up.

@Neocybersailor: I second your opinion about the misleading release information. But for me USB sync works with the current versions of the iOS and the Mac app, at least as good as before. You might have to disable iTunes sync on the iOS device, sync using the USB sync tool and re-enable it. I would suggest making a backup of your key chain before. I would not recommend to switch to a cloud storage.

• Hi guys,

We didn't intentionally skip over it, we just forgot to include it (there really is a lot of data we have to go over for the initial release) in the release notes and in the Known Issues. I've added it to Known Issues, and we added it to our user guide about the Wi-Fi sync.

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

If you are referring to the fact that you have put in the phrase "Wi-Fi sync requires 1Password 4.3 for iOS".3 is in the Known Issues message in this forum, that really is subtle and would appear to border on the deceptive to a lot of users. How many people would realize IOS 4.3 is not even out yet? You should be a lot more forthright in highlighting this current limitation rather than expecting the casual user of your product to dig through the fine print in documents and forums to realize that wifi sync does not work at this time. As you recall, there were a lot of loyal users who were quite upset when you withdrew wifi sync in the prior version. It took several weeks before you responded added the usb sync tool which to may knowledge was never updated thereafter. Saying that you think the IOS update will be out "soon" could be weeks. In the meantime loyal users will be forced to either not synch or resort to the potential insecurity of the dropbox/icloud method. I like your product and depend upon it for security and peace of mind. But as a company, sometimes I think Agilebits is "tone deaf" when it comes to listening to its customers.

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    Options

@Neocybersailor: As I said. USB sync works for me. However, unfortunately the rest of your posting is 100% right.

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

Hessijames - really appreciate your feedback on the usb method is still working for you when using Password 4 for OS X. But even after backing up the key chain, I am concerned that using this unapproved Agilebits method might result in some subtle defects I don't about which might come back to bite me later. If the usb method does work, I think Agilebits has the obligation to let their customers know that this is an acceptable workaround until w-fi synch is reimplemented in their iPad/iPhone product. As mentioned before "soon" could be weeks.

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@Neocybersailor: Sorry, since you already stated you used the usb sync method before I assumed that you were willing to take the risks.

To my knowledge, the USB sync method was never considered stable, even Agilebits considered it unstable or beta. The solution of using the iTunes file sharing protocol without iTunes and thus risking a conflict with iTunes itself was nothing more than a hack which resulted in the need for several attempts to get the data synced.

Let's hope the update to 4.3 will be released shortly and that no essential functionality will be removed in the near future again :)

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

Hessijames: Yes, I did use the usb sync method as it was the only practical choice if you did not want to expose your keychain file in the cloud. It seemed to work for me. After a lot of initial denial from Agilebits stating that the cloud synching solution was perfectly safe (pre-Snowden exposure days), it seemed that they finally listened to a segment of their customers who were more security conscious and offered the usb sync as an option. However was disappointed that after the initial usb tooll beta release, they never released an update and it just languished as a unstable beta much as you said. Am pleased to hear that there will be once again a wifi solution, but I for one would have stayed with Version 3 Password with usb sync capability until the wifi option was truly available on all Apple devices. Not sure if it is possible to go back to Version 3 in the interim easily as it is no longer available on the MAS.

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Ok. Correction. USB sync does not work. Items changed on my Mac are synced as duplicates to my iPhone. Local sync is now officially broken without a warning.

I can't believe it.

• Neocybersailor
    Neocybersailor
    Community Member
    Options

@Hessijames - Appreciate the update. Mentioned your prior feeling that usb sync still seemed to work with Version 4 over on the 1Password for iPhone/iPad Forum, but have now passed on to them your latest experience. Based upon the fact that Agilebits only solicited beta testers for w-fi sync at the end of August, I do not hold much hope in an update coming out "soon". Particularly since Version 4 was so long in the making and judging from the posts on this forum was perhaps still released prematurely. To be compliant with truth in advertising, Agilebits really should change their advertisements to indicate that wi-fi syncing is coming soon (perhaps in version 4.1), as opposed to saying its "back". Relying on the casual customer to dig into ancillary documents or forums to discuss this fact is not in opinion being truly honest. Again, I depend on the product, but only wish to use local sync options and not needlessly expose my keychain in a cloud environment that has been publicly acknowledged to be compromised. Therefore I would have been happy to remain with Version 3 until Wi-Fi actually truly implemented and verified to be working properly.

• Hessijames
    Hessijames
    Community Member
    Options

Fortunately Wi-Fi sync is released now even though the implementation is cumbersome and in my personal opinion crude.
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16909/wi-fi-sync

This discussion has been closed.