Deleting parts of 1Password after update

mgshoutman
mgshoutman
Community Member

After updating to 4.0 I got 2 menu bar icons. I had to quit the 1Password 3 menu bar icon to delete it.

Yet in User/Library/Containers I have some old ? folders:

com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-thumbs
com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Can I delete these ?

Today one new folders was created:

2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

Comments

• Hi @mgshoutman,

The first two folders you note are for the older 1Password 3.9.x app, 1Password 4 switched over to the 2BU... one. I'd suggest keeping the first two there for a few weeks as it does contain all of your backups for 1Password 3.9.x.

If everything looks good, you should archived the two folders somewhere to keep it safe.

• mgshoutman
    mgshoutman
    Community Member

thanks for your kind help :)

• jbmelby
    jbmelby
    Community Member

I tried to follow your instructions for switching to the new extension, but it didn't seem to work; I still apparently have the old extension. What do I do?

• jbmelby
    jbmelby
    Community Member

I just sent a diagnostic report to support@agilebits.com.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

Glad @MikeT was able to help you, @mgshoutman.

Which instructions did you follow, @jbmelby? Are you having trouble installing the 1P4 extension(s) and/or uninstalling the 1P3 extension(s)? There are installation instructions (with a short video) under the Install the Browser Extensions section of this document:

Setting Up 1Password 4 for Mac

And for uninstalling:

Uninstall 1Password 3 browser extensions

I hope that's helpful and thanks for sending the diagnostics report in case it's needed.

• oshloel
    oshloel
    Community Member

In addition to the 3 ~/Library/Containers/files mentioned above, I also have a file named com.agilebits.onepassword-osx. No "thumbs" or "helper" suffix. It shows to have been updated since I quit using 1pw3. Is this file for v3 (and thus can be deleted/archived) or for v4?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @oshloel.

The ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx folder contains files for MAS versions of both 1P3 and1P4. Preferences for each 1P main app is the main thing in common there.

For now it's recommended never to delete that folder (if it exists) or manually modify anything in it as long as you're using 1P. That also holds true for most content under ~/Library/Containers in general.

This discussion has been closed.