New chrome extension

2»

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

So what you're telling me is to forgo syncing between Chrome installs

No. We're asking you to disable Chrome Sync for your extensions. There is no need to disable Chrome Sync altogether.

since I can't disable or delete the extension from just the Windows installation, I guess I'm screwed for the time being

You can delete the extension from just the Windows installation after you have disabled Chrome Sync for your extensions. Then you can re-install the 1Password 3 extension on Windows, and keep running the 1Password 4 extension on your Macs.

This is a temporary workaround until we complete 1Password 4 for Windows.

• Tim Wilkins
    Tim Wilkins
    Community Member

Do we have an update on this? It has gone on for weeks now, and it quite inconvenient to have to workaround the missteps with the Mac/Windows extension. It is very frustrating, and I don't recall any warning about this on your email specifically suggesting that people upgrade to 1P 4.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013

timwilkins, we feel your pain. <:(

We have to choose where to apply limited resources: providing a workaround for the temporary hassle of disabling Chrome's extension-sync'ing or creating a version of 1Password 4 for Windows that will be able to share the extension (so Chrome's extension-sync'ing doesn't cause problems). So far, we've been leaning toward the latter.

Thanks again for understanding. We really do appreciate your patience!

• Tim Wilkins
    Tim Wilkins
    Community Member

Ok, I'm trying to be patient, but has there been any progress on this?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Yes, but that progress has been made in creating a version of 1Password 4 for Windows that will be able to share the extension with 1Password for Mac, so that Chrome's extension-sync'ing feature doesn't cause this problem.

You can sign up to join the beta program here, if you're interested: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

I am so confused. Maybe I do not understand what you all are discussing here because I have 1password browser extension (PARTIALLY) working on CHrome on windows 8.1.
    I am using 1password 1.0.9.338 and the chrome browser 3.9.19.90. And my chrome extensions all are still set to sync.

I do have a problem which is what brought me to the support forum today but now I am worried about using what seems to be working for me in case it messes up anything with 1password on my 3 macs and 2 iOS devices. I did just check my syncing and I was able to sync a new password to both my macs and to the windows 8.1 transformer.

My problem is that I have just tried to set up 1password for my husband in a separate account on the new windows 8.1 ASUS transformer and I can’t get it to work at all even though it works in my account. I’ll post that elsewhere but I did want to post here first.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Welcome, @cwb!

The current version of the extension for Chrome that's included with 1Password for Mac is different from the current version of the extension for Chrome that's included with 1Password for Windows. The Mac version of the extension won't work with 1Password for Windows, and the Windows version of the extension won't work with 1Password for Mac. That's why you need to disable Chrome's extension-sync feature (in your Chrome account) if you use Chrome and 1Password on both Mac OS X and Windows.

• If you see a 4.x 1Password extension in your Windows installation of Chrome, you need to remove it (in Chrome) and re-install the correct (3.x) extension (in 1Password).

• Likewise, if you see a 3.x 1Password extension in your Mac installation of Chrome, you need to remove it (in Chrome) and re-install the correct (4.x) extension (in 1Password).

On the new computer, please launch 1Password, choose Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File, and attach the output file and a description of the problem to an e-mail message sent to support+windows@agilebits.com, so we can look into what's happening on the new computer.

• Tim Wilkins
    Tim Wilkins
    Community Member

This whole situation is really disappointing. My friend and I both left eWallet at the same time. I went with 1P, and he went with Dashlane. He's able to use his product as it was designed. Here I am MONTHS later and you still haven't fixed the problem you caused back in October. Just so you know how annoyed I am, I paid $99 for a family license for Mac and Windows, plus the various costs from the IOS and Android App store. If you think that's a lot of money, then you understand how annoyed I am. If you think it's not a lot of money, feel free to refund it to me.

Now imagine what I am telling my friends, coworkers, and end users (I am the director of IT for my company) when they ask me how to manager their passwords...

PS Offering an application to your beta program isn't really a great response. I don't want to be a tester. I want to have working software that I paid for.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

This is really messing me up too. I own both 1PW for Windows and 1PW for Mac and I use Chrome. Not being able to sync the extensions is really a major inconvenience. I keep checking back for something here, hoping ... hoping ... hoping.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Tim Wilkins and @geek9mm, we understand your frustration.

At this point, it seems to me very unlikely that we will be able to solve the problem with the 3.x extensions in the current version of 1Password for Windows. We believe 1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, eliminates the problem by including 4.x extensions.

I'm sorry I don't have a more satisfactory answer.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

Any closer to releasing the 1PW for Win? Sigh.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@geek9mm: I assume you mean 1Password 4 for Windows. If so, yes, we continue to make progress.

You can sign up to join the beta program here, if you're interested: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

Checking in again. It's now March 27. :(

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password for Windows is currently in beta development. I don't have any information about how long it will be until we determine that it's ready to release the official 4.0 version.

You're still welcome to sign up for the beta program, if you're interested, and start working with 1Password 4 for Windows.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

It's been a very long time and I still can't sync with 1PW for Mac and 1PW for Windows using Chrome and it's VERY difficult. It's the amount of time this is taking, and especially annoying because I get notices that you are updating other things. This should be in the FRONT of the line, especially since I own both 1PW for Win and 1PW for Mac, yes? Priorities?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

You can, indeed, @geek9mm, but 1Password 1 for Windows simply will not work with the new 4.x browser extensions. As long as you use 1Passwod 1 for Windows, you will need to leave extension-sync disabled, so you can retain the 3.x extensions on your PC while using the 4.x extensions on your Mac.

If you want to use the 4.x extensions on your PC, you'll need to join the 1Password 4 for Windows beta program.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

Any change on this? Just checking, it's been a very long time. It's now Sept 2, 2014.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

1Password v4 was released a couple of months back.

https://agilebits.com/downloads

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

OK thank you! I'm kinda dense, can I ask, is the issue with having to disable Chrome EXTENSIONS syncing (using 1Password on both Windows and Mac) fixed now? Yes or no?

That is my exact issue. They kept saying we had to leave the sync extensions box in Chrome unchecked. Thanks!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

@geek9mm Did you purchase 1Password for Windows in 2014 or 2013? If yes, then you can upgrade to version 4 for FREE.

If you'd rather stay with version 1, then please remove the version 4 extension from your web browser, and then re-install it here: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Browsers

Thanks!

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

I've used 1Password for Windows for at least a couple of years, yes. Then I added 1Password for Mac.

I just went to the "Customer Center" here on your site and looked and I see that I have what I am showing in the attached screen shot.

Now, if I recall correctly, all this time, the sync Chrome extensions issue had a "workaround" that you guys said we had to do until something or other was fixed. I think you said we could not check the box that I show in the first picture I attached, right? So are you now saying that yes, we can now check that box?

(Sorry but this confuses the heck out of me, I just want Windows and Mac to work with Chrome on both types of computers, for all my Chrome extensions without a workaround or having to leave a box in Chrome "unchecked," right?). I **only **use Chrome (and again, I have 1PW on both Win and Mac).

Thanks!

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

Hi, ok, I see my purchase date for the WINDOWS version of 1Password is: Purchase Date: July 20, 2011, and I purchased the Mac version of 1Password on Purchase Date: July 13, 2013.

So ... I have to re-purchase the WINDOWS version of 1Password and after I do that, then the "Chrome extensions" syncing problem (with the box having to be unchecked) will be gone for me? I don't want to be doing "workarounds."

I'm so sorry, but this is totally confusing to me. I just want the Chrome extensions to all work, both Mac and Windows, and not have to leave boxes unchecked. Can you just very clearly list for me all my options? Like a list, "either do 1) ____ or do 2) _____ " and explain step by step if I need to uninstall something somewhere. Very confusing!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@geek9mm please contact me off-list: stefan AT agilebits DOT com

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

OK! Just sent email! Thank you!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Most simply, and to supply what I think you've requested, either (1) install 1Password 4 for Windows, so you can use the 4.x 1Password extension and leave Chrome's extension-sync option enabled, or (2) leave Chrome's extension-sync option disabled, remove the 4.x 1Password extension from Chrome, and re-install the 3.x 1Password extension from the Browsers tab of 1Password 1 for Windows.

The upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, if you choose option 1 above, is free to everyone who purchased a license in 2013 or 2014; for anyone who purchased before that, there is a small upgrade, but it's well below the full "re-purchase" price.

This discussion has been closed.