Does the non-MAS store version offer iCloud sync?

Options
odysseus
odysseus
Community Member

One must purchase the MAS store version of 1Password in order to have iCloud sync, mustn't one?

Comments

• Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member
    Options

It does not, as far as I know, only MAS Apps have access to iCloud operations, such as access and storage. It's not up to Agile Bits, they just don't have access to iCloud thru non-MAS Apps.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

I know. Does the iCloud syncing work well?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @odysseus.

Although you already know, in addition to Eduardo's answer (thanks!) to your first question @MikeT similarly replied:

iCloud sync is an exclusive feature for apps at Apple's official App Stores. If developers want to support iCloud sync, they have to go through Apple's App Stores.

About your second question, both iCloud and Dropbox syncing have worked very well for the majority of 1Password users. Every cloud-based service has issues which are ultimately the responsibility of the provider to resolve. For example, Apple provides and controls iCloud service so they have to fix any problems with it.

I hope that's helpful!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

"For example, Apple provides and controls iCloud service so they have to fix any problems with it." Oh, brother. I've used Dropbox for syncing for years without problems, but I've shied away from iCloud because Apple is notorious for being lackluster in the area of internet services, and there have been near-constant complaints from developers about iCloud sync, in particular the CoreData sync API. Does 1Password use that?

• Hi @odyessus,

No, we don't use CoreData, we use the Documents type, we just write our data file to the iCloud container and be done with it. So far, it's working great for majority of folks.

This discussion has been closed.