iCloud in non-MAS version...?

oMc
oMc
Community Member

Hi,

I don't understand why I have the iCloud sync option available in my 1P4 (obtained from your website) while it is supposed to be only available in the MAS version and also because a lot of news are reporting that the non-MAS version is limited to Dropbox. Is it a bug, or is it just that "officially", iCloud is only supported for the MAS version ?

See the screenshot below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgfznydbpoh78qu/Capture d'écran 2013-10-04 06.42.16.png

Comments

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

I posted asking the same yesterday in this thread http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16245/mas-and-store-differences#latest

no response yet either. I have a Family license, I've been using 1PW for years and was waiting for the Agile store to offer 1PW4 which is up now, but makes no sense if iCloud sync is not in that version. I've been a beta tester for 1PW4 and moved it all to iCloud.

If iCloud sync is only available for MAS 1PW - then I have to buy the app three times without upgrade, me and my 2 kids.

Wish an answer is forth coming.

• oMc
    oMc
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

@mozart11 So far, iCloud sync is available in the AB store version, I am using it right now.
    But it's a little bit surprising, considering that AB says on Twitter that we have to purchase the app from the MAS in order to use iCloud.

So I am a little confused...

• nev
    nev
    Community Member

Well I hope this isn't true, because that's why I bought the MAS version - and forewent a discount!

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

oMc that's good to know, but so far conflicting replies by admin MikeT here, in the link I posted. MikeT wrote, I quote "iCloud sync is an exclusive feature for apps at Apple's official App Stores. If developers want to support iCloud sync, they have to go through Apple's App Stores"

iCloud sync Exclusive to the MAS - so not sure if what you bought will be changed in a pushed update to those that bought from the AB store? If iCloud sync is exclusive, than is it an oversight by AB and is AB breaking their TOS with the MAS?

I imagine my 1PW4 beta will stop working soon, and need to decide what to do.

• oMc
    oMc
    Community Member

@mozart11, I am a little bit disappointed because AB claimed since the beginning that AB store version and MAS version will be the same (see here). So I purchased from the AB store, because I am a student an I wanted to buy on the educational store.

Now, it's not clear if iCloud sync will be available in the AB store version. AB says "no", but at the moment, iCloud sync is available. But in the future? I am considering to ask for a refund and buy the MAS version instead.

It would be nice if a AB staff member can clarify this.

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

I find it strange how an admin has not responded to this thread or the one I linked to above clearing this confusion up.

Because for me it's a matter of if I have to buy three apps on the MAS for $120.00 or decide to upgrade my Family License for $35.00 on the AB store and we all go back to dropbox.

• Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

If you buy from the MAS, you don't have to purchase for all your family members, because you can share your MAS purchases on up to 5 computers (as long as you share the same MAS account, obviously. Saves lots of money.

• alexknight
    alexknight
    Community Member

As far as I'm aware, this is not AgileBits' issue. Apple does not allow iCloud support outside of the Mac App Store. You must have a fully sandboxed app available in the App Store in order to use iCloud.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

Guess I need to know the facts from AgileBits about this capability before I can purchase 1Password 4 upgrade for our Macs.

Is a new version also needed for iOS 7 devices to be compatible with the new Mac version?

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

Me too ozarkcanoer. But for some reason the few threadS asking this question are not getting any input from AB. Admins are replying to other threads though.

Eduardo Martinez - yes it should be, but with the confusion it would be nice to hear from AB before coughing up the money.

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member

I think that it is now limited to fully sandboxed apps, which 1Password is now. It used to be only MAS apps could access iCloud but as we've seen, 1P from AB's site is able to access iCloud.
    I've also seen mention that there are 2 ways to store data in the iCloud space. One is restricted to MAS apps and the other is not. Perhaps that is where 1P is storing its data.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

From Agilebits document:

**Should I purchase on the Mac App Store or from your website?

_To use iCloud syncing you should purchase on the Mac App Store, _but ultimately the choice is a personal preference. Using the Mac App Store makes it easier since you don’t need to keep track of a license key. On the other hand, purchasing from our website is also great since 1Password provides a great way to keep track of software license keys, and you will receive updates faster as we approve them directly**.

• Hi guys,

We're not ignoring you, we're just spread out with a lot of questions in the last few days with the big release. We're trying to get to all threads as fast as we can.

Right now, we do allow iCloud sync in the website version by directly accessing the iCloud folders on Macs, it should be possible to support it but we can't promise because Apple never officially said it is not allowed. That's why we're strongly encouraging all folks to buy it from the Mac App Store. It is possible that Apple will tell us we can't do this and we may have to pull it.

• ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer
    Community Member

On Mac OS X, the local cached copy of iCloud documents are kept in Macintosh HD➡️Users➡️User home directory➡️Library➡️Mobile Documents. Each application that is iCloud-aware has its own folder in which documents are stored. Currently you can create additional folders there, for example for Goodreader, to enable using iCloud for document storage and transfer from Mac to iOS.

Guess 1Passwordcan use it also, while Apple allows.

• tiantai
    tiantai
    Community Member

Well, I also forgo upgrading from the website (would cost me about $24) and bought it new from MAS (paying $40 + tax).

• Hi @ozarkcanocer, correct. :)

@tiantai, thanks for your purchase, we really appreciate it! I hope you enjoy the work we've done on 1Password 4 and we still have more to come. :)

This discussion has been closed.