V4 making internet connections

Tacitus99
Tacitus99
Community Member

Just installed 1PW4 as an update from V3 and its behaviour is certainly different to that of v3. Some points.

1 Why does it need to connect to cloudfront.net every time I do a login?

2 Why does it need to connect to learn.agilebits.net? Learn what and why?

In both cases what information is being transmitted and why? Frankly it hardly inspires trust or confidence.

3 Am I correct in assuming we no longer have the agile keychain file and information is stored in an sqlite database?

4 The Application support folder still has the version 3 folder which contains the old style keychain. Can I now safely delete this as all data will have been transferred. I'll keep a backup in case I temporarily (or permanently) need to go back to V3.

MacOS 10.8.5

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Tacitus99. Good questions!

1. Here's @roustem's answer from a beta topic:

1Password connects to Amazon CloudFront when 1Password > Preferences > General > Use rich icons option is enabled.

There's more discussion about it there if you're interested.

1. As far as I know connections to learn.agilebits.com normally only occur when displaying the Welcome to 1Password screen during initial 1P4 setup and when web pages there are opened from the Help menu. Are you noticing them at other times? Also, Help > Discussion Forums will open discussions.agilebits.com.

2. 1P4 vaults are stored in a single SQLite database. Agile Keychain usage has been "demoted", for optional syncing purposes, as @MikeT explained:

1Password 4 uses the new cloud format for both the Wi-Fi sync and the iCloud sync. Only the Dropbox/Folder Sync are not using them and we'll phase out the old format in a future update to replace it with a new format once we get the 1Password 4 for the rest of the platforms out.

1. First (perhaps for the benefit of other readers since you already know this), some wise advice from @MikeT:

We actually recommend that you archive the 1Password folder in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password, it contains your backups that you should keep for a while. Once you're happy with 1Password 4 and it has enough backups, you can then trash it.

This document should help you get rid of unnecessarily 1P3 leftovers:

[Completely Uninstalling 1Password | 1Password 3 User Guide](http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/uninstall.html)

I successfully used the uninstaller application again earlier this evening.

Please let us know if that information doesn't sufficiently answer your questions -- thanks!

This discussion has been closed.