1Password 4 - Key differences between Mac App Store (MAS) and AgileBits Store (AS)

Options
Bazza
Bazza
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

Intro

So, a bit of reading of the forums, the FAQ and the release notes suggests that there's some confusion regarding what the differences are between the versions of 1Password 4. Specifically, differences between the software bought from Apple's Mac App Store (MAS) contrasted with the software bought from AgileBits' own website (Agile Store - AS).

Why do I care? I'm a very pleased 1Password 3 customer with the AS version, and am wondering whether to buy (an upgrade) from the AS or to buy from the MAS.

What do I know? Only what I've read and interpreted. I'm just some random guy on the Internet who's procrastinating rather than doing something actually personally useful; I'd ask the AgileBits people if you want verified information.

Some references

Licencing / Licensing

The spelling depends upon which dialect of English you speak, with 'licence' being correct... ;)

MAS - Mac App Store

• Put simply, for non-commercial use, a single purchase of any MAS software enables you to instal that software on all of your computers.
  • Effectively, a MAS purchase gives you the equivalent of a Family licence.
  • Updates (dot points of Version 4, such as 4.1 to 4.2) occur via the MAS and are free.
  • Upgrades to new versions (e.g.. from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4, or from 4 to 5 later on) kinda don't really exist - the application must be 're-bought', and there's no such thing as upgrade pricing. This is an Apple decision and applies across all MAS software.
  • In my case, as a single user 1Password 3 owner (bought from any source - it is of no consequence where I bought it), I need to buy 1Password 4 from the MAS at full price, currently $41.99 (AUD, I think, so it's possibly USD$39.99).
  • You need to use the same iTunes / Apple ID, and there's a few other things to know. LMGTFY... http://www.macworld.com/article/1157018/appstore_licensing.html or http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/6283/can-i-install-apps-bought-on-the-mac-app-store-on-multiple-computers

AS - Agile Store

• Take a look at AgileBits' website at https://agilebits.com/store
  • There's a bunch of options, from single user licences to family licences to mixed software licences (OS X + Windows).
  • The AS option allows you to take advantage of discounted upgrade pricing (depending upon what version you already own, and when you bought it).
  • In my case as a single user 1Password 3 owner bought from the AS, I can get an upgrade to 1Password 4 for $24.99 (USD, I think), instead of the full price of $39.99 (again, USD, I think). Sweet!

Features

MAS - Mac App Store

• Technically it seems that his should be the only version of 1Password 4 that supports iCloud syncing.
  • So, technically, if you ever want to utilise iCloud syncing in 1Password 4, you should but this version from the MAS.
  • This looks to be due to Apple feature offerings that limit iCloud syncing of a certain types purely to programs bought via the MAS.
  • Some other under the hood differences, due to MAS requirements for sandboxing etc.

AS - Agile Store

• Technically this version shouldn't (?) be able to sync via iCloud... ever.
  • However, it looks like the current version from the AS actually can sync via iCloud. Holy confusion, Batman!
  • It seems like currently the AS version can technically do this, as it's "not disallowed" - I'm interpreting that as "hey, it's not explicitly noted by Apple that we can't do this, so until we and the rest of the world get told not to, we'll enable it". Nice one, I like your style.
  • So, a betting man/person/dropbear would take this ability as a nice to have, currently, but wouldn't rely on the feature sticking around forever.
  • Some other under the hood differences, as it doesn't have to meet MAS sandboxing and other MAS requirements.

Conclusion - Which Version To Buy - MAS or AS?

It depends.
For me, the AS version is $15 cheaper as it's an upgrade. Cool.
However, it seems that the MAS version is the only one that can be relied upon to include iCloud syncing. Ooh, shiny!
Is DropBox working for you? Don't care about iCloud sync? Like to live on the edge? Go the upgrade from the AS.
Want iCloud sync, or perhaps want the option later? MAS all the way, baby.
Me, I'm undecided, but leaning toward the AS version.

A little help...

Hi AgileBits!
Care to elucidate somewhat upon my prattle? Correct the most grotesque of my errors of fact or interpretation?
Feel like talking about the keychain upgrade path and all sorts of cryptonerdery?
Awesome.

Cheers.
Baz

Comments

• Hi @Bazza,

I'm sorry from missing this thread, the forum is difficult to use when there are hundreds of threads going at the same time.

Thank you for writing this up, I know it must've take you a lot of time to write it up. Just a few clarifications:

Effectively, a MAS purchase gives you the equivalent of a Family license.

Correct but unlike a family license that you can share with your family members, the MAS purchase is tied to your AppleID account. Which means, for your family members to use 1Password on the family computers, you have to sign in with your AppleID in the Mac App Store and then download the app for free.

Upgrades to new versions (e.g.. from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4, or from 4 to 5 later on) kinda don't really exist - the application must be 're-bought', and there's no such thing as upgrade pricing. This is an Apple decision and applies across all MAS software.

In this case, 1Password 3.9.x customers were given free updates to 1Password 4. The discounted $40 price is for new customers, it'll go back to normal price to $50.

If we decide to charge for the upgrade fee for 1Password 5 a few years later and Apple still don't offer paid upgrades, we'd sell 1Password 5 as a separate app instead of a direct update from 1Password 4.

In my case as a single user 1Password 3 owner bought from the AS, I can get an upgrade to 1Password 4 for $24.99 (USD, I think), instead of the full price of $39.99 (again, USD, I think). Sweet!

Correct, upgrade fees on website is $25 USD discounted and likely to go back to $35 later. Normal full price is 50$ USD.

It seems like currently the AS version can technically do this, as it's "not disallowed" - I'm interpreting that as "hey, it's not explicitly noted by Apple that we can't do this, so until we and the rest of the world get told not to, we'll enable it". Nice one, I like your style.

No comments. :)

Thanks again for your time on this.

This discussion has been closed.