Where are the release notes?

Options
benfdc
benfdc
Community Member

I don’t see them here!

It would be nice if you put a link somewhere in the app (the Help menu would be an obvious choice).

Comments

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @benfdc.

You can find all of the initial features in Help > Welcome to 1Password. In the future, release notes can be found on the MAS.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

@Fooligan—

Why should users who purchase from the website have to wait until Apple approves the MAS version of an update in order to see the release notes? Why should any user have to launch the App Store app in order to review release notes?

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

@benfdc

AgileBits may include a Help > Release Notes menu item in the future? I don't work for the company, so I am not sure.

For this first release, the Welcome to 1Password page in the App captures all of the changes.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I think we may be talking past one another, @Fooligan.

If you go to the download page you can download 1Password for Mac 4.0.1. There is a Release Notes link, but the release notes on that linked page are for 1Password 3.

The Welcome to 1Password page introduces 1Password 4, but it does not describe the issues addressed in the update. Maybe you are OK with there being no release notes for 1Password 4.0.1, but I am not.

And while we’re on the subject, 1Password 4 is also missing from the AgileBits Help page.

• Fooligan
    Fooligan
    Community Member
    Options

@benfdc

You are correct. The forums used to have a separate web store versus MAS topic, they have since been merged. I was only referring to the MAS version. While a lot of users may arrive at the forums from the MAS version to find infomation, a lot of those customers may never visit agilebits.com and their only interaction will be through the app itself or the MAS home page.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

I have no problem with the merger of the MAS and Web Store forums. However, the two versions will frequently be out-of-sync because of the App Store’s review period. This is all the more reason for having release notes easily available.

• Hi guys,

We're a bit busy with the licensing and the store at the moment but we will fix the release notes page to include the 1Password 4 release notes.

Right now, there's only been one update (4.0.1 is the first website release) and the change in 4.0.2 is this:

This update improves application performance and fixes the problem where item attachments might be lost when an existing item is modifled and synced with another Mac using Dropbox.

• By the way, I've created the Release Notes thread for now.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

You might want to modifl those notes. :-)

Glad to know that the Release Notes page will be updated soon. A thread in the 1Password 4 discussion forum is better than nothing, but not much better given that AgileBits intentionally makes the discussion forums difficult to find. And I still think it would be helpful to have links to the Release Notes, Known Issues, and EULA in the app’s menus (although there may be differences between the website and MAS versions) and on the Help page.

The Release Notes page is getting pretty long. I think it might make sense to move the release notes for 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x to a separate page, with a link atop the 4.x release notes page. If you stick to the single page approach, anchor links to the 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x release notes would be nice.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Suggestions notes, @benfdc. Thanks!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Options

Nice to see Help > Release Notes in 4.0.5!

• Hi @bendfc,

I'm glad you're liking it. We're building up the server which also powers our new auto-updater. So, now the release notes are hosted on it as well. Soon, we'll move the release notes to the downloads page once we can clean it up a bit. Slow but steady. :)

This discussion has been closed.