Where the heck is 1Password?

hoppah
hoppah
Community Member

I had this problem with v3 as well...

I have installed v4. I cannot now find the executable. It is not in my Applications folder, and a Spotlight search (the only way I could find v3 when I installed it) does not reveal it anywhere. I am currently launching it via the browser extension, but this is unwieldy for running the full app.

Any idea where this is stored?

Thanks,

H.

Comments

• Niklas
    Niklas
    Community Member

When it is open and visible in the Dock, can you right-click it and select Alternatives -> Show in Finder?

• hoppah
    hoppah
    Community Member

OK... that worked, so now I have a complaint. 1Password installed itself in the directory in which the installer file was living. For me, that was on my NAS. So I hereby request that 1Password please install itself as an app in my Applications folder, goldurn it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

That is because 1Password doesn't "install itself". It simply is an application in a zip file. It unzips to the same folder where the zip file is. You can just drag the application to the application folder. If you want "installations windows" with lots of Next and Finish buttons, then OS X is the wrong system for you. ;)

• hoppah
    hoppah
    Community Member

I am always surprised at how some folks treat a forum as a place to post snarky crap which makes a lot of lame assumptions about the original poster.

First of all, "just dragging it to the application folder" does not fix the problem. Since the program unzips and then automatically executes, the system remains fixated upon the original location and in fact OS/X does not let you eject the NAS drive due to the fact that 1Password is keeping open files on that original location even if you close down the visible portions of 1Password. So you should learn how this all works before making unhelpful comments.

I have a great number of programs that I have installed on Macs which do nothing more than unzip a file and link to the app. And all of them, except for 1Password, were smart enough to move the app to the app folder first. I am not asking for "installations windows" (whatever that means) with "lots of Next and Finish buttons". I'm asking that this installer behave like it has some understanding of the organizational structure of OS X, rather than assuming I want the app to be wherever I happened to store the ZIP file. I bought a family license and need to install this on several Macs - can you grasp why the current method the tool uses to install itself might be a problem in this environment? I'll give you a hint - distributing the software via USB key or NAS might lead to what unpleasant effects?

I reiterate: this installation behavior is broken and should be fixed. I recommend the "normal" behavior of such tools, which is to either copy themselves to the Applications or Applications/Utilities folder or offer a Finder window so you can manually drag it there before it executes.

H.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Your're right, I made an assumption about you. To be fair, alot of of Mac users are coming from the Windows world where simply dragging an application to the application folder is illogical and counter-intuitive because on Windows installation usually means clicking through some dialogue boxes asking for this and that.

Anyway... on my computer (OS X 10.8.5) downloaded files never open automatically. The web browser dictates this. In Safari, this preference is in the General tab. The default is to NOT open files, however with earlier versions of OS X the opposite was default so an earlier preferences may have been carried over if you have been upgrading. So if 1Password opens itself after download then something is definitely wrong, no arguing there.

I don't think 1Password should move itself to the application folder. I do not know any Mac application that does that. However, I think 1Password should use the standard method of being inside an DMG with an alias to the application folder, like Firefox and most other apps does:

EDIT: to clarify, this is what happens when I download 1Password-4.0.1.zip (tried latest Safari, Firefox, Chrome)

It downloads to my Downloads folder. It does not unzip unless I choose to. When unzipped the application does not launch, it just sits there. This should be the standard behaviour.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Just another one stopping in and confirming some of the statements above.

It does not execute or launch itself once downloaded. That is done by you or something on your system. 1Password has never done this since my first days around here starting with v2 up till now.

There are some utilities that can auto install an app and I suspect it could be something like that. I seem to recall something with Quicksilver that would or could do that, maybe it was alfred or Hazel. But one of them if I am correct can exhibit the behavior and throw away the .dmg all in one fluid motion. Might your system have something like that on it ?

For some users in the past they have noticed the icon in the dock in the downloads section next to the trash and inadvertently launched it from there. This is especially true if you have open safe downloads enabled. I can speak from experience as I did this myself some time ago. But still fresh enough in my mind to recall doing it. Could this also have happened ? Do you also have a quick access to you NAS there as well. and it showing icons etc. ? Just trying to think what went on here.

It will not do any type of auto launch on 10.8.x or 10.9. I am currently on 10.9. At a minimum I have never seen it done. My google fu is off tonight or I would find that thing with one of the apps listed above but it seems to be failing me badly. :(

Edit here is one for alfred but its not the one I am thinking of, still looking. http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/2525-app-install-renamed-updated-29-may-v04/

• mozart11
    mozart11
    Community Member

Well if it is downloading to your NAS, then you or someone else have changed the Safari Preference from the Default location of the Downloads Folder. and set your NAS as the place to download to. And if the downloaded file did unzip itself, than again you have the Safari Preference of Open "safe" files after downloading enabled, otherwise you would just see the Zip file download. But as others pointed out, no Application will install itself. It would just be in the Downloads Folder waiting for you to interact.

Some Applications may use an Installer but this would require you to launch the Installer, type in your Computer Password. For Security, Apple makes you do this for an installer. But every if you didn't have an Installer - like 1PW doesn't, you launching the Application for the first time, the OS would open a warning, informing you the App was downloaded from the Internet - do you want to continue? And if you are not getting this warning, then you or someone changed the Security Settings in System Preferences/Security & Privacy/General - Allow Apps downloaded from -

Mac App Store
    Mac App Store and identified developers
    Anywhere

Mac App Store being the Default.

And to change this setting again you have to click the Lock icon in the lower left of the Preference window to make changes requiring you input your computer password to make the change

So your computer has had it's security settings changed that is making your computer security weaker.

And if you are using Spotlight to find something and select Show in Finder, highlight the file and do Command R to reveal where it is located if the Locations that are in the Spotlight Window is not enough informing the location of a particular file found.

Your issue is not with 1PW4 - it is with settings changed on the computer.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Actually, changing the "Allow apps downloaded from" to "Anywhere" setting doesn't remove the warning.

Removing the warning was possible with earlier versions of OS X with a defaults write command, but according to Google that option no longer works on 10.8.

I tested this command:

defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine -bool NO

and it seem to work. This setting is independent from the Gatekeeper settings.

This discussion has been closed.