Have 2 master passwords after switching to iCloud sync

Options
sddawson
sddawson
Community Member

I emailed support about this about a week ago, but haven't had a reply yet. Thought I'd post here while I wait to see if anyone else has any ideas...

I've just upgraded from 1password V3 to 1password V4.0.2 on 10.8.5 on an iMac. V3 was syncing via Dropbox, and I wanted to change to iCloud. When I changed the sync method, it said data already existed on iCloud, with an option to merge or cancel. I have no idea where this came from. I don't remember ever turning on iCloud sync before, but maybe I did. Anyway, a while ago I went through the process of making my master password more secure. When V4 found existing iCloud data, it asked for the password to that data. I had to put in my OLD master password for this, from before when I changed it. Anyway, I merged and this proceeded fine. I then went to my laptop and installed V4 there. It found my iCloud data, but on the laptop the master password is now the OLD one. On the iMac, it's the new one. I then went to my iPhone and iPad to change to iCloud sync. The master password on those has now changed to the old one too.

How come I can have multiple devices all accessing the same iCloud data store, but with different master passwords? And how do I get everything back in sync?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know how it happened, I'm afraid, but can you not use Preferences > Security on the iMac to change back the master password on that to see if all stay in sync? You could, of course, also change the master password on the other devices (Settings > Security on iOS).

Note: I don't use either Dropbox or iCloud so don't know if doing that would have some mysterious adverse effect on sync. Sorry this is an incomplete reply but it may help until someone better qualified comes along.

Stephen

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I expect that would fix it, but I don't want to try it until I know exactly how this could have happened (in case some debugging is required). I just don't know how different master passwords could possibly unlock the same 1P "keychain". But thanks for replying...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @sddawson. I've seen your email now and will be responding soon.

• antex
    antex
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. Please provide guidance how to fix that

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @antex.

Please email us at support+forum@agilebits.com and include the link to your post here. After understanding how 1Password is currently configured on each of your systems/devices we'll describe how to resolve your issue with multiple master passwords.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.